SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Help! Structural Issues Or Is This Normal?!?

mydreamhome
12 years ago

This weekend while lounging in my luxurious tub I noticed a terrible looking crack that went from the crown molding to the door frame over the closet door on the bathroom side. Then I discovered another crack running on a jagged diagonal extending from the door frame upward on the closet side of the door. The closet door now rubs as you try to close it at the upper right corner where the diagonal crack is. Then when we came home tonight, our 7 year old puts his stuff away in his room and comes back to announce he wants to play the Wii and by the way there is a crack in his wall! We investigate and indeed there is a crack running on a jagged diagonal extending from the door frame upward on the bedroom side of the doorway leading to his bathroom. I start looking at all the doorways and find another diagonal crack in the wall from our master bedroom into the bathroom & one that runs straight up & down above the laundry doorway similar to the one in the master bath, but not quite as bad.

So is this normal or do I have a big problem on my hands? What else do I need to be looking for? This is a brand new custom built house that was finished end of Sept 2011 and we moved in first of Oct 2011. DH checked in the attic and no sign of any water damage or anything like that. We are calling the builder tomorrow, but I want to make sure I am educated and prepared to have a two-way discussion with him & make sure I'm not missing something he may not want to bring up. The floorplan and pics of cracks are posted below. Thanks for any help we can get!

Floor Plan:

Master Bath:

Master Closet:

Master Bedroom:

Zach's Bedroom:

Laundry:

Comments (21)