SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie7b

Style question on river rock border

katie7b
14 years ago

Here's the set-up: My tile guy is going to be putting a 3-3/4" river rock border inside our 30"x57" shower. (It's a small, 5x7 foot bathroom) The border matches our new rock floor. The rest of the shower is tiled with 16 inch travertine tiles, same as on the bathroom floor. The water wall (where sink and toilet will be located) will be tiled up to a height of 47 inches from the floor using 1x2 inch glass subway tiles in a smoky brown.

Here's the problem. The rock border starts at 47" inches off the floor, just where my glass tiles stop. Because they are adjacent to one another on the long wall, even though physically separated by the glass door, I'm afraid that it will visually look very funky.

So, I was thinking about having Vince continue the rock border outside the shower, and run it atop the glass tiles, using the stone border as the finishing edge, so to speak, for the glass, instead of the glass tile pencil molding.

Only problem here is that the rocks don't come as a border, only in 12x12" sheets. So you when you cut borders out of these 12x12" squares, you end up with an irregularly shaped border, at least along the top edge. Vince will hand set individual stones to fill in any large gaps between the border and the glass tile wall, but I rather like the irregular look of the stones on the top of the border. It has a very natural flow to it. But I've never seen anything like this, and I've been fussing with these rocks and tiles for so long, I no longer trust my judgment.

Has anybody else ever seen anything similar or done anything like this? Or perhaps faced a similar situation and come up with a different way to solve the problem? I need advice!

Comments (2)