SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

Kohler Greek tub as tub/shower combo

nycbluedevil
13 years ago

I am remodeling a long, narrow (5' x 14.5') second bathroom in NYC apartment. The bath is currently used primarily by older teenagers (soon to fly the coop). We are also remodeling our master bath with a double vanity and a big shower stall (and a Toto washlet-yippee). The master bath has no tub, which is fine with me, but for those times when there is just no substitute for a bath, I want to put a soaking tub in the hall bath that will also double as a shower for the girls (and guests) to use. Right now, the bathtub/shower combo (5" long and typically too shallow for a satisfying bath) is situated along one of the long walls, which accentuates the length and narrowness of the room. So, I figured that the logical thing would be to move the tub/shower to the back of the room, under the small window. The only problem is that the back of the room measures only 37" wide, because there are two non-moveable columns that take up the rest of the 5" width. Therefore, I have to install the bath lengthwise, with the short end of the tub facing the front of the room. I plan to put a deck on the front and if there is room, for the small bit on the sides, in order to allow a use to sit and swing his/her legs over into the tub when bathing or showering.

I found the Kohler Greek tub, which measures 32" x 48" and which is 23.375" deep. I will use a rain head and handshower on a sliding bar. As the space will be enclosed on two sides and about 33" of the third side, I don't plan to have a shower door. I will put a teak mat at the front end to catch any water that overflows.

The Kohler Greek tub has quite straight sides and so I don't think there should be a problem entering and exiting the tub, whether for a bath or for a shower. However, I have not found any showroom that has the tub on display, so I am taking a bit of a flyer on this.

I am looking for feedback on the plan and on the specific tub. Thanks.

Comments (18)