SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsf2009

Please comment on this floor plan (5 bdr under 2000 sq.feet.)

tsf2009
15 years ago

We're on a tight budget but need lots of bedrooms (at least 5 on same floor). We finally found an affordable floor plan but the rooms are small and the square footage is a little under 2000 sq. feet.

Do you see any way to improve this plan without making costly changes? For example, I really want the laundry upstairs - I can't see where to put the machines except by taking room from the closets bedrooms 2 and 3 and having a laundry "closet" opening into the hallway. We don't particulary care about having a tub in the ensuite so that space could be reconfigured.

We would use the formal dining room as a family room and close in the living room to make an office/den. If the laundry can be moved upstairs, we would add a shower to the downstairs bathroom.

I've thought of how expanding the kitchen by a couple feet could make it wide enough for an island which I'd love to have. Along the same lines, widening the living room/dining room by even a few feet would make a huge difference in how spacious the rooms feel. I wonder if the home really needs that hallway next to the stairs.

Another wish list item is having a closed entryway - without adding on to the front, I just don't see how that's possible.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, and or warnings about this floorplan. Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)