SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Master Bedroom Sitting Area

drjoann
15 years ago

I would like some opinions on a sitting area in the master bedroom. I was planning a very cozy little space that is a truncated octagon. It would be 8 feet across along the back wall of the bedroom and project to the outside about 5 feet deep.

The purpose of the sitting area is to give me a place to escape to for reading or doing needlework and listening to music. IÂve always wanted a glider rocker and hassock. IÂve mocked it up that size and shape. It seems to be a good fit for coziness but enough room for the furniture I want.

Our original architect told us that this space is too small and that we need to make it at least 10 feet across so that we can fit two chairs with a table in the middle. I know that this is what many plans have, but I just canÂt imagine DH & I sitting in the master, looking at each other across a little table and saying or doing what, exactly. To me, this would defeat the purpose of my having my own little "hidey hole" to get away from my DH and his humming, whistling and talking to himself when I need to. This is our retirement home & I think it makes sense for us to have planned nooks & crannies where we can get out of each otherÂs hair. LOL!!!

Do folks use the sitting area in the master or is it mostly for show? If my planned sitting nook isnÂt a good idea for resale, then I think I would rather scrap it for something like a window seat and save on the square footage rather than have a larger sitting area that I wouldnÂt be as comfy in. IÂd appreciate hearing from folks about their sitting areas and how they use them.

BTW Â WeÂre moving toward a (21st Century) Shingle Style house rather than some "Old World" type elevation. WeÂve been talking to a designer, but are going slowly trying to figure our just what it is we are looking for. IÂll keep yÂall posted on that as it progresses.

Thanks for yÂallÂs thoughts & ideas  Jo Ann

Comments (14)