SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lfr78

Mismatched Shower Corners in Tiled Shower HELP

lfr78
15 years ago

My dear husband (my co-contractor) and I have recently undertaken a major bathroom renovation. The former tile shower with tile shower pan was removed and has now been replaced with new tiled walls and a solid surface shower receptor. The problem that we are now facing is that one of the inside corners is mismatched. It begins at the bottom as a fairly wide (at least twice as wide as the grout lines) gap, and the gap noticeably increases as it goes up the wall. I am concerned for cosmetic reasons, and b/c I do not want water to get in that corner! We are looking at options and taking any suggestions to correct the problem (any poor soul who comes by for a visit is dragged to the back bathroom for their opinion of the situation  itÂs getting out of hand). Currently, suggestions/options range from packing the corner full of grout to finding two accent tiles that will be installed over the tiles to make a new "fake" corner that will both hide the problem and offer a tight seal. Lowes has a 4-inch flat tile with one rounded edge that could possibly be cost-effective solution (65 cent per piece). We could butt two pieces together to make an inside corner  flat sides touching to form the corner with rounded edges facing out. Another suggestion was to find a piece of pvc molding that would be wide enough to cover the gap and install that using lots of silicone and/or caulk. I have researched the availability of actual one-piece inside corner tile, and it is difficult to find and very expensive per piece (around $17 per piece). If we decide to go with any of these options, we will have to do the same thing to both inside corners. Basically it will look like we have white corner molding in the shower. We had also considered cutting pieces of the wall tile to fit into the gap. I am concerned that that would look strange. Especially at the top  I think the patched in pieces would be very noticeable.

We would appreciate any input on the situation. I hope that I have explained this clearly. If not, please let me know, and I will try to send pictures. I have relied on this bathroom forum for much valuable information as we navigated our way through this project. It has been very helpful  especially the responses from Bill Vincent. Mr. Vincent, are you out there?

Comments (2)