SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marianne_thompson_stratton

Thoughts on Floorplan and next steps

Hello everyone, I've only posted a few times here but have thoroughly enjoyed this forum. My husband and I are building a home in Delaware on 2 acres. House will face northwest on a slightly pie shaped lot, with the front the narrow part. We will have a nice view of a creek along the back property line. Also, we will be reversing the plans so that the garage is on the left side. We have two children, 3 and 1, and hopefully another down the road.

I've been working on these plans for almost a year and now that we are under contract on our lot, we are motivated to move forward with getting our plans completed. Ideally I could find a good designer who could complete our plans and get them to the point that they are ready or review by a structural engineer (I think that is what we need here but not 100% positive -- learning as we go). I'd like to get feedback on our floor plans and some general advice on where to go next.

We will have a basement that will be a future rec room and additional play space. And the garage is not properly sized or laid out yet. Things of importance:

1. Kitchen with island, opens to great room,

2. Light filled dining room

3. convenient office space since I work from home

4. play/flex room that can be opened up to great room when we are entertaining but closed off when it's a mess - this will become a den/ area to get away as the kids get older

5. good mudroom/ entry area to help with clutter/ organization and that has direct access to backyard

6. screened in porch with skylights for eating and conversational seating

7. 4 bedrooms

8. large master closets to limit amount of furniture/stuff in bedroom and that attach directly to master bath

9. at least a partially opened staircase - I love stairs so I don't want them completely enclosed by walls

10. natural light!

We are still working on the windows so some of them may not be centered or exact. Also, I know there is probably a better way to do the 2nd floor - one thing we wanted was the master in the back - and clearly the master bath needs help - any thoughts? I plan to post the kitchen layout on the kitchen forum.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)