SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Should I splurge or save??

alina_1
10 years ago

I am working on the design and on the budget for our DIY (mostly) master bath renovation.
I just had a chat with build.com rep and he helped me to compile a shopping cart for the tub/shower combo and for a shower stall.
And I had a price tag shock...
I used a Hansgrohe shower combo in brushed nickel as a starting point. After he added all fixtures I need, the total was $2,738.02...
That is two times more than I planned to spend.. It would be a real stretch for us.

So, should I go with it or should I go with a cheaper system? I like the design of Delta Vero line, but I read that it has lots of plastic parts - not just shower head faces, but also cover plates and even valve parts.

Please advise considering this:
1. We will live in this house for 5-8 years I think. I would like to have a reliable and good looking system for at least this period of time.
2. The $3K investment into plumbing would never return when we sell the house. My original $1.3K-1.5K budget is also questionable, but I hoped to enjoy the renovated bath for the next few years..

Or, maybe a compromise would work? I was thinking about replacing an expensive Hansgrohe rain shower head (Hansgrohe 28494 Axor Starck Shower Head Downpour Air with 10" Spray Face + 15" arm - $686 total) with this American Standard Rain Shower head with 12" arm - $200 total. It is solid brass and has good reviews..

I am so swamped with this!
Please give me an advice if you can :)
TIA!

Comments (16)