SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

marble countertop questions

muscat
15 years ago

Several of you responded to my posts regarding a swanstone vs stone countertop- thanks! I decided to investigate my stone options. I found a few prefab dual vanity granite tops for $250ish, but looking at them, I'd rather just have silestone. There are lots of yards in my area that carry prefab 26"x96" counters for $150-300, but fabrication is still about $450 by the time they cut them down to size and add two polished sink holes. This seems pricey to me, but I got about the same estimates 3 different places, so I guess it is a hazard of living in CA.

So I went back to a few of the granite lots that I really liked in my kitchen remodel, and one place has occasional remnants that they basically give away! They dont fabricate, so only have small pieces infrequently, but I can get a piece of botticino marble for less than $40. The people who did my kitchen counters will fabricate that for $450, and it has NO finishing already, unlike the blanks that are sold everywhere. Also means that I can have an edge I like, rather than standard bullnose!

This does seem like a good deal, doesn't it?

And second question- it is reasonable for a handy person to install a small top like this, yes? The fabricators told us they'd show us how to do the undermount sink, and I'd like to try......it is just screwed in to the granite, right? I assume they have to pre-drill holes?

And LAST question- 2cm granite/marble is standard around here, so they recommend/require a plywood top- would the sink cut outs in the ply be enough bigger than the sink sole to allow room for the clips holding the sink up to the granite? I'm having trouble envisioning this. Does anyone with 2cm granite/marble have a photo of the inside top of their sink? Thanks!!!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!