SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

Hansgrohe 04152000/06622000 'Allegro E' Thermostatic/Volume Contr

pinch_me
14 years ago

Yet another shower choice. This brand for this price? Is it complete?

Price: $272.30

Details & Dimensions:

1/2'' Thermostatic Mixing Valve

With Built-In Volume Control

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe

Comments (18)

• gwentm
    14 years ago

I am looking at this as well. Any opinions?

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wish someone would tell us what to do! I haven't worked with plumbing enough to know how to read it. I would really like to get some things ordered but not if they are the wrong things! At this price I don't know if it's all there. What did you think? Is the valve included?

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Pinch_me, it explicitly says the valve is there -- just look down the page to where it says "We normally sell this item as a unit, but you can also order its individual components below..." It seems clear this is the valve and the trim.

-- Eric

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Eric. I know that's what it said but look at the price! less than half what I expected.

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Hansgrohe's list price for the trim is $323; their list for the valve is $77, or $400 total. (The valve is one of the most basic ones they make, so it's not terribly expensive; it can't be used with a diverter for a shower/tub.) The link you posted for Faucet.com has them for $272, or 32% off list. No one sells at list, so I guess the price doesn't surprise me that much. In fact, I just did a quick price search, and found the two items for $11 less at www.americanhomeplus.com, which has them for $211.36 + $50.39 = $261.76 with free shipping. I don't know that site at all, but I for $4 more -- and still less than the link you cited -- IraWoods.com (a company which was first recommended to me over in the kitchen forum and from which I've now ordered a number of times) has them for $226.10 + $53.90 = $280 - 5% = $266, also with free shipping. Happy shopping!

-- Eric

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've heard of IraWoods.com at the kitchens site, too, so I think I will go there. I am so afraid I will end up with wrong stuff and then have to buy something else. It adds so much to the total remodel cost when I have a shelf full of stuff I can't use.

• jacobse
    14 years ago

Pinch_me, who is doing your remodel? I would ask your contractor or your plumber to review your choice before you order to let you know if there will be any problem. You can download the specs for these products from the Hansgrohe web site (hansgrohe-usa.com).

-- Eric

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My carpenter is a real magician! I did want to send the right link to him, though. From what you say, this is what I want. No tub, just a walk in shower. And I'll still need a shower head? My carpenter assures me if I want it, he'll make it happen. I've known him 50 years, he did my kitchen, and if he says he'll make it work, he will. The only thing I told him was I wanted to end up with a walk in shower and a warm floor. anything after that he can do whatever he wants. I just finished the kitchen. or rather, he did. I am running low on decision making enthusiasm. But my kitchen turned out perfectly. I supplied the stuff; he put it together. I'll amass bathroom things and then leave for work. When I get home there will be something to look at. I'll do my stuff and be out of his way by the next morning. He'll do his thing and be out of my way by the time I get home from work. It works for us.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, Eric. You get to be the teacher for this. I feel confident looking at the valves and trim. I certainly don't know enough to choose it by myself but at least I know what stuff is and what I need.
    Looking around at available trim, I saw this one that I like a bit better. It needs the same valve?
    I don't know how these handles work. You set a temperature and a volume. With one handle? If finger dexterity is fading, can I do that? My son is mentally handicapped. Will he be able to figure this out? Or is there an easier handle? The temperature is the critical thing.
    You've explained it so I can undestand. Lead me just a little farther.

Here is a link that might be useful: a different set

• sevrm
    14 years ago

I believe that you control the temperature with the little knob in the center of the handle. Once it is set, you can just leave it in that position and the temperature will always be the same. The large handle is for turning the water off and on and controlling the volume of water.

• jacobse
    14 years ago

I'm happy to try to help, but I must say I'm no expert on this stuff! I'm going on my limited experience buying for my bathrooms and what I'm seeing reading the web sites. If your carpenter is your plumber, and he won't check the specs for you, then you might want to call Ira Woods rather than ordering online; their customer service reps generally know their stuff -- or at least how to read spec sheets -- and should be able to give you peace of mind that you're ordering the right parts for what you need.

These Hansgrohe Thermobalance I controls you've posted about do have just one handle, which controls the water volume. In the center, there's a knob which controls the temperature. The beauty of a thermostatic valve is that once you find your preferred temperature, it will be set for that temperature every time you turn the water volume handle on. On the Hansgrohe web site, if you click on the link for the installation instructions, you'll also find the user instructions. I've included the direct link below to the PDF for this trim; jump to page 7 and you'll see diagrams which should make the two different controls clearer than my words.

If you think having the temperature knob on the same handle as the volume might be a problem for your son, you could consider thermostatic valves have more clearly separate controls for volume and temperature. Here's just one example plucked from the Hansgrohe site:

Back to the Metro E you said you liked better, the Hansgrohe site lists 4 different valves which can be used with it: #06622000 (the same one you originally asked about with the Allegro E trim), #06621000 (same valve with "service stops", which allow the water to be shut off at the valve if it needs service), #06300000 (has a second outlet for a tub, which you don't need) or #06301000 (same as the latter, with the built in service stops). From my reading, one of the first two is what you want. If you don't have access in the wall behind the shower with water cutoff valves, then getting the model with the service stops can be a plus if a plumber ever has to service the valve in the future -- but not critical (unless code in your area requires valves to have service stops).

I hope that helps. (Again, if you have questions or uncertainty, definitely get an opinion from a professional, or at least from a sales consultant at the plumbing supplier.)

-- Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Metro E user instructions on page 7 of this PDF

• janwad
    14 years ago

It was so easy picking a kitchen faucet (in retrospect). I thought I would select a shower and be done too.

Ha.

This thread helped immensely. I'm getting this Hansgrohe too!

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our thanks to you Eric and you, too, suellen_2010. I finally feel like I know what everyone is talking about when they list this shower in their "best thing I did" thread.

I am going to print all of this off and the pages for the trim and valve. I make a project book on my computer with the same printed pages in a notebook that I carry everywhere. Then when I see something at a store I have all the information that I've gathered so far. When I did the kitchen I gave a final copy to my carpenter so he knew what I wanted and could make suggestions based on my information.
    Ira Woods for the shower. And I still need the shower head? Will any other brand of trim fit this valve? I might happen across something in person that really screams, TAKE ME HOME!

• jacobse
    14 years ago

And I still need the shower head?
    Yes. The shower head is completely different. You can choose any brand and style you want.

Will any other brand of trim fit this valve?
    I don't know enough about trims and valves, but I'd assume you might be able to find something that works, but you'd really have to know exactly what you're doing. But I have to ask: why would you ask this question? All you need to do is go out and choose whatever trim style and functionality you want, and then buy the valve the same company manufactures to fit and work with it. Why would you buy a particular valve you'll never see, and then try to mate it with some other trim? Don't complicate things any more than you need to! :) Choose your trim, and buy the valve (or one of them) that goes with it -- simple as that.

-- Eric

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

-All you need to do is go out and choose whatever trim style and functionality you want, and then buy the valve the same company manufactures to fit and work with it.-

I didn't know other companies made them. All I've ever read on here is Hansgrohe. SO comparison shopping in my future.

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did you get this shower? I'm ready to part with the money and the only place I find it is the place where I started. Ira Woods doesn't have it. Neither does americanhomeplus.com. I am so afraid I am not reading the descriptions right. I don't want to end up without the thing that controls the temperature. I wish I would have bought it two months ago when this conversation made sense to me.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Pinch_me, we recently finished up our smaller guest bath, and I'm starting to order parts for our master bath remodel which is now underway. We're going to the plumbing showroom tomorrow to help us decide on our trim; my contractor wants me to get the valve a.s.a.p. so he'll be able to close up the wall in the near future, so I've gotta get moving!

You said you couldn't find the valve and trim you were looking for on the Ira Woods web site? I did; you must have been searching wrong. Did you try searching for both part numbers at the same time, as you have in the title of this thread? If so, search for them separately and you'll find 'em easily enough. Well, actually, I see that Ira Woods lists the trim as part number 4152 without the "000" -- which is the color code for chrome finish. Since I just looked them up to verify, I can post the links here to save you the time:

Hansgrohe 06622000 valve at Ira Woods: $53.90
    Hansgrohe Allegro E Trim: $226.10
    You get 5% off those prices when you place your order on their site.

And if you do a Google search by name or part number -- for the valve and trim separately, e.g. "Hansgrohe 06622000" and "Hansgrohe Allegro E" -- you'll find many other sites which sell Hansgrohe parts as well.

Hope that helps.

-- Eric

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that's how I searched and got nothing. Even the chat person at ira woods coudln't find it. I have them both in my cart now. Shower head. Does it matter? I can pick any one I like?