SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thrauli_gw

Ventilation question

thrauli
12 years ago

I have been researching on the forum for the past several weeks during the planning phase of our kitchen update and really appreciate all of the valuable information I have learned.

I have a 30 yo electric downdraft cooktop in a 50 inch wide brick alcove which sits between double ovens on the left and refrigerator on right. The problem is that the new 30 in induction cooktops I'm looking at are all about 20-21 in deep and require 2-3 in at the front and back. This doesn't leave any room for the downdraft (counter is 25 in deep). Do you think it would work to bump out the cabinetry/counter 3 in or so to provide the space? Would it look funny to have it sticking out past the brick?

I had originally considered capping off the downdraft and going w a recirculating vent. Have since learned that is not a great option. I'm afraid venting through to the roof is cost prohibitive due to the positioning of the kitchen. Also not sure how effective it would be since the space for the insert is only 16 in deep and 45 in above the cooktop. I really don't use the downdraft much. Just occasionally when frying bacon or cooking fish. The grate is covered with a towel most of the time to keep the cold air from coming in so I tend to forget I have it.

Sorry for the long ramble but hope the info helps with any advice you might have. Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)