SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacobseric

Drop-in or undermount tub... AND shower?

jacobse
14 years ago

We're going to remodel our 30 year-old guest bathroom, which contains a 60"x29" tub in a typical 3-sided alcove. We're going to pretty much gut the room to replace the floor and wall tile and fixtures. Rather than simply replacing the tub, we'd like to be able to enclose the long side of the tub with a short wall so we can tile the side rather than just having a regular tub apron. Our contractor says we can move the back wall (adjoins a bedroom) and one side wall (adjoins the bedroom's closet) to create a tub deck which could then hold a drop-in tub. I like the idea and the look, but I have a few questions.

We still want to have a showerhead on the wall (and a shower rod of course) because we more frequently use it for a shower than a bath. Most of the pictures I've found of deck-mounted tubs seem to show them just as tubs, not configured to also use as showers, so I want to make sure we're not creating a problem.

If it's a drop-in tub, I'm having trouble picturing how this works when we use the shower. On the three wall sides, water can fall on the deck, and run down the walls to the deck -- and I'm wondering where that water goes? I assume it can't get over the lip of a drop-in tub, so does it just pool on the deck in the space between the wall and lip of the tub? Is the deck and deck/wall joint so completely waterproof that this isn't a problem? Will some of the water run around the tub on the deck and drip out onto the floor? Somewhere I saw some mention of an *undermount* tub with a granite or marble deck surround -- and I envision that would resolve my concern about water pooling on the deck with nowhere to go -- but I can't find much information about undermounting a tub or what type of tub we'd need for that.

I'd appreciate any tub advice!

-- Eric

Comments (27)