SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

Hi peeps. PSA: Secure your home from the beginning.

charliedawg
16 years ago

Lots of new faces here since I last posted. I finished building my home in August. (Trust me, it's worth all of the headaches). There is a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel.

I just wanted to give a little advice for those still building.

Secure your doors and windows!!!

Our home was broken into last month. They simply kicked the back door of the walkout basement once and had free run in my home. It was easy for them, too easy.

We have now reinforced the doors with steel. They will break their foot if they try to kick it now. We also installed a security door to the back, stonger bolts in the front, secured the access to the upstairs and secured the slider.

We live in the boonies so we decided to install a surveillance system.

EVEN AFTER ALL OF THAT....they (the same people) tried to break in again, unsuccessfully 2 days ago. I was home and they left but they were arrested 15 minutes later trying to get in another home.

There are other new homes in the general area that have had no problems. I'm not sure why *we* are a repeated target. I think it's cause we park both cars in the garage so it always looks like we aren't home.

BTW - I got the creeps on video and the cops are using it to prosecute them.

I know that if somebody wants in, they will get in. Just try to make you're home not so easy to get into as ours was the first time.

Happy building everyone!

Comments (8)