SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
laura_a_gw

What percentage of your home value was your master remodel?

laura_a
14 years ago

In the interest of not over-improving your home... What percentage of your home value was your master bedroom (or main bathroom of the home for older homes) remodel?

I read somewhere - thought I can't recall where - that it should be no more than 5% of your home value. (WAIT! I found it - it's in this book, which seems to have been quoted on the web in various places: Improve the Value of Your Home up to $100,000: 50 Sure-Fire Techniques and Strategies.

==================================================

"As a rule of thumb, the amount you spend on the bathroom should not be more than 5 percent of the home's value," says Irwin, who has written more than 50 books on a range of real estate issues.

==================================================

So did you stick to this rule of thumb? Is this a good place to start for a budget?

Laura

PS. For the sake of this discussion, there's no need to post actual values if you aren't comfortable. Percentages let us all play together because it's more apples to apples, though I think we would all agree that top of the market homes can tolerate higher percentages (and lower priced homes should probably be on the more conservative end), so this should come into play... :)

Comments (17)