SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

Lots of questions - allowances, specifying choices in contract

robinson622
15 years ago

Well, I've been visiting this site for years, and I think I'm going to become another statistic if I don't act soon. We are doing a second story addition and remodel. We are adding 3 bedrooms a master bath, kids' bath, powder room and remodeling an existing bath, a mud room, kitchen, remodeling the laundry room, and changing the garage into a family room, also adding a porch and storage area. The builder will be adding about 1500 sq ft. and remodeling another 400 or so. We aren't building a high end home, but I plan to upgrade as I can over the next 40 years. :)

Anyway, he drew up a breakdown of the allowances (not a formal contract yet) and they just seem way too low. I told him I want to be able to get things from the places I choose, not only his suppliers. Should I have that specified in the contract? Also, as far as the allowances, I want to ask if that includes labor and all other materials or for example is the flooring just the wood and not all the other materials that are needed to install the wood.

I have many questions.

His cost per sq ft came out to 60 psf for new and 26 psf existing which totaled - 141k + 9K for kitchen - not including appliances of course, giving us a total of 150k for the job. Builders are hurting big time right now in our area. They are dieing for work. I know he wants this job REAL BAD, but there's no way these allowances will cover what we need.

Do I tell him I need more $ in the allowances? Does that raise his sq footage price or should it come out of the 150k that he quoted us?

His allowances were as follows:

bath (cabinets, I guess) there will be 3 1/2 - $2,500

windows (25) cheapies I guess - $5,200

lighting - $2,200 - Yeah, ok. How many recessed cans can I get for that?

Plumbing - $1,200 - that won't even pay for the jacuzzi

Flooring - $6,300

What's my next step, besides find another builder?

I know I can save money by having my dad,myself and my husband doing some of the work, like putting in the wood floors, installing the cabinets, doing the trim. When I mentioned my dad doing the trim work, he didn't have a comment. Is that wrong of me to want to save some money? Has anyone ever done some of the work? If so, did you specify in the contract what you would be responsible for doing?

I'd really love my dad to have some part in this, since it is something he's always wanted to do for me. He's been doing this type of work since he was 14, and he does beautiful work - so meticulous. He'd love to do the whole house, but he's 68 and he doesn't have his own crew. It would take much longer than we could handle.

Maybe I should just have the builder take the house to sheetrock and we'll finish the rest.

Looks like I'll be doing some shopping and gathering prices for these "allowances" over the next couple of weeks. I want to have everything spec'd on the plans like I've read on so many posts over the years.

I've contacted a friend who just finished her home. It is a beautiful custom home and she did her homework and saved so much money. We're getting together this week and she has every receipt and some samples for me to take. This way I can get an idea of the costs and get more realistic allowances.

Comments (10)