SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

Relying on Consumer Reports

momali3
16 years ago

I've skimmed through many postings and notice that nearly everyone seems to be buying/hoping to buy the really high-end, pricey and currently "in" brands of appliances. I just re-read the Aug. 07 Consumer Reports and they state categorically about stand-alone ranges, for example, that "pro-style ranges can cost thousands and are often out-cooked by mainstream models; some brands have been repair-prone." They then recommend as "best buys" a very mainstrema Hotpoint at $550 and a Maytag for the same price. Other top-rated models are GE's and another Maytag.

As for separate gas cooktops, their top-rated brands are GE and Maytag, which range in price from $650 to $1,200. Their top two electric wall ovens are both GE's, costing $1,500 and $850. Because of what CS says, I would hesitate to buy a SubZero refrigerator, for example, nor would I buy a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher because they have an abysmal record in terms of needing more repairs. (My daughter has two of the drawer-types that are fairly new and I know she's had to have repairs done already at least twice.) Is there anyone else out there who relies on CS, who's buying less-trendy, mainstream appliances? If so, what have been your experiences? We are starting the process of building a new house and I would be most interested in knowing whether relying on CS (as I've done in the past) is a good idea. Or am I just totally out of it?

Comments (26)