SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Talk me down from my ledge... ;)

midwestmama
14 years ago

We have a builder that we have planned on using. The only part we've actually hired him for so far is the plans and getting the bid all put together. We haven't signed on to the contract to build. We've held off on this until we are really ready to build. Then we need to have an attorney look the contract over.

So along the way the builder has gotten on my nerves, and I am sure I have done the same. To pick him we spoke with previous and current clients, checked their history with the BBB, went to houses they have and were building, and did the same with multiple other builders. This one seemed significantly better.

The part we have paid for states "unlimited" changes to the plans. We made some major changes several times. After the last round he said they'd have to start to charge us if we changed more. Made me wonder what they'd try to change on us in the real build. Also, I have brought numerous things that we are definately wanting in the build and we still have to fight repeatedly for them, things like geothermal heat, hide-a-house for the CV, etc... I think I've asked to hear the price of a standing seam metal roof at least 5 times. No answer.

So, here is my real question. Do I fire him and do this on my own? We haev the plans now, and while we may have to take them to someone to certify them, I can live with that. I have friends that have been GC in the past (they are all in construction for their living) and while they dont' want to do it now, they would help if I needed it along the way (they said this) I stay home so am able to go to the job site daily and can be at locations in the middle of the day with little warning. However, I do have one child at home.

I have asked for specifics, like the Toto Aquia III toilet and CREE L6 lights, gothic windows in some spots, etc... He has either eliminated these from the plans or his cost to upgrade to those is more than I can buy them from at the local store. The upgrade shouldn't cost MORE because I'm already paying the original item's fee, so it should only be the difference, right?

I was a teacher and my husband is an engineer, so we are pretty detail oriented people but have never undertaken such a project and I am not sure if the bank would go for it and if it really makes sense and would save us money or not.

Do I just need to stick to my guns, be patient, and ride this out? The builder isn't happy that I have delayed the project. They wanted it to already be dug but I didn't feel we were ready for that so we told him that we weren't going to dig before Spring now. He said prices may go way up by Spring, but we told him that was a risk we were willing to take and stood firm.

Thanks for all advice (and its ok to tell me I'm dreaming if I think doing it on our own would work out ok)

Comments (8)