SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyg_gw

Bathroom Remodel - Need some opinions!

KatyG
10 years ago

My husband & I have decided it is officially time to take on our master bathroom... When we bought our house a year & a half ago, it was one of the main things we knew we'd have to redo. It's a bit outdated & the layout is pretty bizarre.

The plan is pretty simple (I think...)
There's double folding doors that open to our bedroom. I want to replace that with one normal door. It'll add a little (not much, but useful) wall space to our bedroom & I just don't like the double doors.

We're going to replace the vanity, countertop, & mirror (& take out the pink tile). I also want to take out the little dividing wall & sliding pocket-like door to the left of the sink. It won't completely open the bathroom, but I think it will be a good step in the right direction. The major question here is what we want to put in. The current counter is 58". If we take out the 2 ft wall, there will still be the corner of the vanity to walk around. We could put in a 60" base, which would come right to where the wall ends now. We could also put in a 48" base & have a little bit of extra room there, but I'm afraid it would look funny to not use that whole wall space?

I'd love to replace the shower with a corner shower unit & remove the other wall there that breaks up the bathroom. However, the plumbing appears to be in that wall & I'm afraid moving a wall of plumbing is more than we want to bite off... At this point, we've decided to leave the shower as is, although I may replace the door.

We're also planning to replace the funny little tiny toilet. It's shorter than a standard toilet & irritating. With the planned changes, it'll still be in the corner, but there will be about a 3' wall (+ the edge of the new vanity if we go with the 60" base) instead of 5' to the the left of the toilet if you're sitting on it.

We're also going to replace the floor, & do other minor things like repairing or replacing some areas of drywall, etc.

I will say that this is NOT our long-term home; more than likely we'll be putting it on the market in the next couple years. We bought this foreclosed house for next to nothing as a "fixer upper" that we could learn on (it'll be paid off in the next year or two, & we've only been it for 18 months so far). As a result, we're not looking to make this bathroom totally amazing, but rather to make it more attractive when we do sell our house &, quite simply, learn about bathroom remodeling.

So I guess the question is, will our planned changes actually help it out? We don't have the flexibility to expand the bathroom in any way, so we're trying to make the best of what we have... Are there any better ideas than what I've proposed? & what size sink base? Any feedback, ideas, or suggestions that you might have are appreciated!

Comments (11)