SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caymaiden

Foundation jogs

caymaiden
11 years ago

Hello, all, major lurker here. My husband and I and our two children are planning to build a home on a small piece of land we own. We would like the build to be as cost effective as possible but we'd still like to balance cost and character. I understand that corners and jogs in a home's foundation add to its overall cost per square foot, but very few of the plans posted here or anywhere else are completely square or rectangular, so I wondered, just how many jogs, and what types of jogs, are practical? Would a plan like the one I've linked to below be really expensive? (This is not exactly the house we hope to build, but it is the closest thing I can find online. We don't have a plan drawn up yet, but we are basing our ideas on a house we have seen in a nearby town. The basic room layout is very similar, but the foundation of the house we know is more of a box, I believe, though it does have some jogs.)

Would this be considered a lot of jogs? I know the large covered porch would add to the cost as it will increase the size of the roof...is there anything else glaringly obvious that would up the cost of something like this? I should say that we would be building in concrete or ICF, not frame construction, and we live in a flood-prone area so would need to build up either by filling or by using pilings.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplan: Hancock

This post was edited by caymaiden on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 21:20

Comments (27)