SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Starting From Dirt - Tiling Kindergarten 101 - Floor version

hunzi
10 years ago

Ok, so I've asked this on my bathroom thread (Starting From Dirt) but I don't think many folks read that because it's long.
Here are some of the facts:

We're DIY.
We'll be starting with a newly poured slab in the bathroom and an old slab (plus self leveling compound) in the laundry room.
Bathroom floor will probably be 5x10, and the laundry room is probably 7x11.
The 4in horizontal sewer line will likely partly protrude into the new 4in slab (just checked - good news ALMOST all of it clears the slab - the highest point might go in a tiny bit), so we're anticipating the slab might crack - I'll use crack resistant concrete with the fiberglass fibers.
I need to add a decoupling membrane.
I'll use 1 inch hex and or squares (probably on 12x12 mesh) so no Ditra.
Mongo mentioned using Nobel CIS. Any idea where I can get that online or is it available at Lowes or Home Depot? (I haven't found it here)
I want a warming system - warmwire/warmly yours/I'm not tied to a brand. I'd like whatever is available, good quality/reliability, and best value.

So the plan is: slab > any needed self leveling compound > thinset > decoupler > thinset > warming system > thinset > tile Right?

DH has helped a friend tile once before - some sort of 6x6 floor tile - so we're basically newbies, but we're serious perfectionists, accomplished in all other DIY projects we've done, and I have high hopes if I do my homework ahead of time, we can do this right.

I'm open to all suggestions of products and tips and step by step instructions! I could use your best online product sources too - my only other options around here are HD & Lowes. There are probably some tile shops in town - but I want to do my best to keep this a value budget project.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

This post was edited by hunzi on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 16:59

Comments (30)