SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

First Floor Plan HELP :)

athensmomof3
14 years ago

I am posting the rough draft of our first floor plan thus far (we are still in the sketching on graph paper stage) and would love some comments!

You can ignore the back hall - that is being completely reworked.

We do want an open floor plan, and I do want the kitchen and keeping room and den open, but I am wondering if I want to add at least a casement opening between the keeping room and the eating area. Do I want to add one between the eating area and the kitchen too? I don't want it to look like a bowling alley! There has been some talk about raising the keeping room ceiling to 12'4" and adding shiplap with beams in between (not vaulted), so that may be done also (depending on how the upstairs shakes out).

I will likely add the fireplace back into the den, and will probably request french doors instead of the windows and doors shown across the back of the family room.

We would like a small bar somewhere in the family room area. On the first draft there was a study with a bar/hallway (like a walk through butler's pantry) connecting it to the family room, which I liked but the study was eliminated for square footage reasons.

Speaking of square footage, I am happy with the MBR size and width (we have a deep antique linen press that we want to put across from the bed so 14 feet would be too tight to allow us to put a bench at the end of the bed), but the Master Bath and closets seem too big (with the exception of the smaller closet which seems too small) and like a waste of space.

I would like to eliminate the hallway there if possible and make that whole area more efficient. As it is drawn now, it is basically the Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles Christmas House bathroom which is very grand and in a very grand house. . . We would like a shower large enough for a bench. I don't love angled doorways or rooms, so chopping off a corner to make something fit is not really my thing. Otherwise, open to any and all comments and suggestions!!!!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional