SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fnzzy

help - tile is not white ARRGG

fnzzy
16 years ago

can anyone offer me some help? My 1" hex (another post, I decided to go with 1 vs 2) came today and the tile guy was ready to install and he opened the box and what they sent was unglazed daltile 1" hex which was decidedly NOT white. He agreed that even though they call it white it's NOT white. Especially when it's put up against my white toilet and white pedestal, anything other than white is going to be totally ugly.

So we're stumped. My tile place (really a decorating center) claims they can't get 1" hex GLAZED (I wanted it a bit shinier - especially since there's so much grout, I wasn't worried about the slip factor) So can anyone send me in the right direction? I'd even go for 2" white glazed.

Does such a thing exist?

Comments (32)

• jamesk
    16 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen hex tile that was pure, pure white. Nor is it usually shiny. It's usually sort of off-white, unglazed and has a flat or matte finish. I think pure white, shiny hex tile would look a bit strange, or at the very least, untraditional.

Maybe you need to adjust your expectations, or choose some other type of tile.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

hey buffettgirl, search for "hex", I think there was a useful discussion here a while back.

I got a sample of that Daltile 1" hex a while back, and you are right, it is definitely cream rather than white, and I wasn't fond of the unglazed surface. Folks here have said it is harder to keep clean. I just bought my 1" hex for the bathroom last weekend, from a local store that I have attached a link to. It is lovely, white, matte, fairly flat and porcelain. They also have 2" hex. I suspect you would have to order it from California though :-( I put a sample of this next to the Daltile sample, and the TileShop sample was a clear winner for me.

Another more easily obtainable option might be the American Olean SatinGlo, which comes in Satin White in 1" hex.

Good luck !

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Shop hex mosaic

• Related Discussions

White kitchen, white and blue tile-- help with countertop color

Q

Comments (35)
    On the wait until later train of thought: in the time between now and when you'll reno this kitchen, hang out here and find out all kinds of interesting stuff. You'll definitely not want to repeat the electrical switches and outlets which stick out like sore (& mismatched!) thumbs on the tile backsplash. You'll find alternatives here. You'll probably want your new cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling - check out others' kitchens to be sure. You can participate in agonizing over which granite, or maybe quartz, or soapstone, or laminate? Is there room for a pantry somewhere? You'll find things that others' do that you love and never would have thought of and things that you'll *know* you'd never want in your kitchen. For your husband to answer the question about why you'd want to replace those cabinets, there was a thread recently about WHEN it was time. I've linked it in case you missed it or want him to read it. Here is a link that might be useful: Time to replace cabinets?
    ...See More

need help! Glass white/ off white subway tile please

Q

Comments (2)
    After seeing it here, I have fallen in love with the Grazia Melange subways, which have subtle shade variation within the tiles. The Milk blend looks weird on the info screen, but all the actual pics I've seen are really white or slightly warm. The grey blend is beautiful too, and I think it would look lovely with your counter and cabs. I did some googling and found it for sale online, I think it was $15-16/sf based on the per piece price. Here is a link that might be useful: Melange info
    ...See More

Help! Distressed white tile with bright white walls

Q

Comments (2)
    Start with a rug that features white, but includes the colors of the tile. Now the rug and tile are your features. Solid leather sofa, any color but blue/white/offwhite. I like this saddle color with the tile and the rug. Dark teal plain throw pillows on sofa.
    ...See More

Did Not Order Enough White Matte Cle Subway Tile - Help!

Q

Comments (5)
    It's too late now but you ALWAYS add at least 10% to your order because you never know when tiles are defective or break or you need replacements in the future. Now if you don't get the tile from the same color run, it's very possible your new tile will never match.
    ...See More
  • fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Flat. At least I know such a thing does exist and at least I have some leads.

Anyone else?

I should correct my previous statement - I'm ok if the tile is a flat white or a greyish white. But what they brought me looked positively creamy/beige next to all the other white things in my bath.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

The tile shop hex is GORGEOUS. I decided to not go with hex but if I had that would have been it (I cut over $1k out of my budget by going with cheapo octagon and dot).

Here is a pic of my sample next to AO subway tile. The other nice thing are the thin grout lines, 1/16 as opposed to 1/8 in AO and dal and the like.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

They were very helpful out there. I was willing to pay freight for this tile, it was THAT far superior to anything else I found. The price is pretty reasonable too ($10/sf-ish - not cheap but not $50/sf either). They said they also sell this tile at Waterworks and you can bet it's $40/sf at least there. I highly recommend you get some samples, you'll be sold. They stock it so they can probably get it to you pretty quickly. The other nice thing about the stock is that you don't have to buy full boxes.

I just decided to go with a less expensive option :/ But this tile is GORGEOUS.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Hey kgwlisa, I am going with AO subway also, is that Designer White in your picture ? That's what I'm thinking of using for the walls.

Whites are so darn hard.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will give them a call if no one can come up with something local. kgwlisa, am I correct that that is what the call the glazed 1" matte white? And it does look in your picture very white.

the price isn't an enormous issue because its a very tiny bath - we're only talking about 33sq feet. But I certainly can't see paying $40 a sq foot for a bath that I'm not trying to be historically accurate in, only historical in feel. If it came down to it, I would settle for the regular old white on white oct and dot. oh well.

Thanks everyone so far for the help!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

If you can EVER..... EVER match a shade of white on tile that you buy to a shade of white on your plumbing fixtures, you'd be extremely lucky. This is Dal's WHITE 1" hex next to white urethane waterproofing on the bench. Looks pretty good to me.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmm...that is sooo not what arrived at my house though. It really looked ivory next to everything else...so much that even when it wasn't near any white (which is how I first noticed it) I yelled across the room - "hey that's not the right tile!" Because it was so obvious that it wasn't white.

But even when my floor lady looked at it later in the day she said there's no way it was white. Maybe daltile had a production problem??? Or a label on the box problem?

I totally get that whites will never match perfectly - that I'm ok with. But what I had was not white by any stretch of the imagination.

I kept thinking "where's Bill when I need him!! He'd know!"

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I know what a pain whites can be. Everyone has a different tolerance for mismatch. When I was doing the backsplash in my kitchen I ordered a white crackle tile w/o bringing home samples and it looked downright PINK next to my white appliances. There is no way I could have lived with it so I ordered new tile. Adex subways are really really white. :)

I haven't been looking for things that absolutely match but I also don't want something that looks glaringly off. Usually if they have similar undertones but don't match perfectly it looks okay to me. If you put something that has a pink undertone next to something that has a green undertone IMO it looks like utter crapola. If you can't see the undertones, no problem - but if you can, big problem. It's not so much a matter of getting things to match exactly as it is getting things to harmonize, which is really tough with various whites because you also run the risk of "near match but not quite." It's easier if you are talking about things that don't touch, like a toilet and a sink, rather than tile and a toilet. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

flatcoat, the tile in my picture is cheap lowes "gloss white" subway, not a color available from anywhere else. It's somewhat comparable to ice white but has slightly pinker undertones whereas ice white has slightly greener undertones. Isn't designer white a matte finish? These are glossy. They were cheap though :D.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

If you want something less expensive and probably easy to find, AO has satin glazed 1" hex in their "satinglo" line. It was available as a special order at lowes, check another tile store if yours claims to not be able to get it.

• budge1
    16 years ago

I bought glazed (but matte) hex and it may look a teeny bit grey against the tub (white) but nothing you would ever notice.

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this above (sorry didn't read every post) but someone here (john mari maybe) used the unglazed hex and swears they are dirt magnets and hard to clean. We went with the glazed matte finish as mentioned above and are really pleased. We got ours from Olympia (in Canada) and they came in a few days.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

If it's that far off, it very well MAY be a labeling mistake. You might take it back to whereever you bought it. SO long as it hasn't been installed yet, they SHOULD honor the claim.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, is THIS more the color?

If they try and object, have them bring out the sample board and compare.

If it is, then it was DEFINITELY a labeling problem.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, that's more the color. It's hard to tell colors online, but your first picture (on the walls) looked white to me and the 2nd picture is beige/pinkish. And that's what mine looked like.

There was no issue with returning it :) No problem there. And my floor lady is looking around for anything suitable that we can get pretty quickly.

The tile guy said that he's seen this daltile color before and that it was what is called white but that he agreed it wasn't white and wouldn't look good with all my other white items. He simply thought it was what I had ordered. He said he'd never recommend it to someone wanting white.

So I'm at a loss really.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

What you're looking at in the second picture is Almond. It sounds to me like it WAS a labeling isue

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

is there a specific daltile number I can tell them to use? Because if you're saying that the white should be white then I'll have them chase it down.

and is that glazed or unglazed?

• sheltieche
    16 years ago

there is no such thing as white IMHO
    there is white that has warm yellow pigment/ minuscule as it might be/ to it and there is white that has cool blue-green pigment to it.
    all you have to choose is the pigment

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Linda, when it comes right down to it, there IS no such thing as absolute white, anywhere, other than where it occurs naturally. ALL whites have hues to them, which is why it's next to impossible to match white shades up.

buffetgirl-- it's unglazed. I'll get the number off the box tomorrow.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Bill.

And yes, I understand "white" as my job deals with graphic design (for the web) so understand that concept. :) in my terms I'd call it #FFF5E9. give or take. lol So I do understand there is no such thing as pure white. But this was not white.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

All I can say is thank goodness you noticed before it was installed! When you have a white tile with a white satin/matte glaze, it's obvious how much "more white" the glaze is than the tile. Of course I don't know if they use the same base for glazed vs. unglazed. I was highly unimpressed with the AO unglazed samples I got - they came dirty from the factory and no amount of scrubbing got the dirt off. There is no way I'd put it in my bathroom given that. Personally I think you will be happier in the long run with something glazed anyway - but then I am not the best housekeeper on the planet. :)

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I have the hex unglazed installed in my guest bathroom. I have an old home and it was the right look for what I wanted. I knew the color wasn't white before I had in installed and selected it intentionally.

Here is the bathroom still in progress and really dirty but you can get a sense of the various whites.

I understand being annoyed if its not what you want but it can look good if you are okay with mixing color and texture.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

your bathroom is charming! I think the black breaks up the off-whiteness of the tile too, so it all goes together really really well. It's very period looking, that's for sure!

I was looking for something that said to me "clean" and "crisp". White floors, white beadboard, silver tones in the fixtures and then a deep blue almost grey on the walls. So an off whitish color just doesn't work in my head..you know?

sigh. I may simply resort (for quickness sake) to just small oct & dot. At least I know that's very white. dang.
    My very tiny bath is one bit in a larger entire 1st floor remodel and I don't really want to hold it up over a floor...

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I understand being frustrated. If you have a vision, go for it.

The unglazed is definitely not white so if thats not a fit for what you have in mind, you can find something more white.

Keep in mind thought that even the exact same material will look slightly different when horizontal than when vertical. (How the light plays against different angles) The shade will also vary with the lighting you have in your bathroom (overhead or wall). So even getting the exact same finish results in different whites. So if you find something that seems pretty white, you should be okay installed.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Buffetgirl-- the color number is D317

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, here's my question if you look at this daltile page:
    Daltile Page
    d317 is called Biscuit. That's what color it was. Is that what you're saying IS the white?

so what's the arctic white??? d617?

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a sample board here, so this is just conjecture, but I'd imagine the D317 is a soft white while the D617 is bright white. Atleast that's what it looks like in the link. If you look at the label I posted above, it DOES say Bisquit/ White.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yeah, that's what it said on my box too. I wonder why then everyone uses d317 if they make 2 whites. It sounds like that's what you use for white too, is that correct? Is that also what you had on the wall picture?

In any case, my problem #2 is that I definitely don't want unglazed and if that's all daltile comes in I can't use it. I positively get the willies at the feel of unglazed tiles on my feet. I know, it's weird, but true. So I couldn't possibly put unglazed on my floor.

I feel like such a tile ignoramus.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

That's where I got that box flap from.

Whatzamatter? You don't like scraping your toenails on it? No different than fingernails on a blackboard! LOL

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that wasn't very nice! rofl. I'd got hair on my arms standing on end just reading that.

I have trouble actually with most tile. But unglazed and anything that's rough are really bad for me. I don't like even touching them, which is going to make it hard for me to find something for a backspash.

But it's funny, I can walk barefoot outside on bricks or even patio stone and they do nothing to me.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, we found some glazed white 1" hex locally yesterday. They're perfect. I have no idea what the brand is though LOL.
    But horray! they work.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

That's all that counts!