SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_tea_

Southern yellow pine floors- thoughts? finishes?

10 years ago

We are planning on having SYP wide plank (9 in.) floors throughout the entire house. Yes, even the kitchen, baths, and mudroom. This is our forever house, so not concerned about what someone else might want later. My question is on finish. I've researched everything and I'm still confused, I hoping someone here might have some first hand experience with SYP floors and tell me what works for you. I don't really want poly, I know pine is soft, but I don't want to deal with the resand and refinish of poly. I prefer something more natural and easy for me to maintain, probably an oiled finished. I've been looking at Osmo, Monocoat, Woca, or pure Tung oil. I really like the honey color of older pine and the other 3 products offer a color oil, which the tung oil is just clear.

I'm also planning on having custom hickory countertops, (if all goes well) and I think I'm finishing them with tung oil and/or mineral oil. Does anyone have any experience to share with SYP floors or these finishes? Thanks for your help!

Comments (38)