SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Inexpensive way to heat water at bathroom that's far from heater?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

My new bathroom is gorgeous and luxurious.... except for the fact that you have to wait over a minute (wasting all that water!) for hot water to get to the sinks. In the gross old bathroom it wasn't such a big deal, but in the elegant new one it stands out as pretty annoying.

I know I could put a point-of-use water heater in the adjascent closet (which is where the shut off valves are located behind the tub access panel, so should be pretty easy to plumb in.)

I wonder if there is any way to put it in the hot water line so that it shuts off when the actual hot water (from the main water heater) reaches it?? Anyone know??

I also know that there are special ways to plumb the supply with some sort of loop.... but this has been a horrendous renovation, and DH (who did the plumbing) would NEVER EVER agree to making major changes in the lines (they are very inaccessible now anyway.) So if I do anything at all, it has to be EASY. And CHEAP.

Anyone know what type heater we'd need, and what one of these heaters costs? It would need to be electric (LPG is on the other end of the house) and we'd do the install ourselves.

Comments (5)