SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys235_gw

Ideas for budget Master Bath remodel

marys235
11 years ago

I am in the process of planning a remodel of my small master bath, but am limited on the budget, and would love any ideas or suggestions on getting an expensive look on a budget. I'm hoping to keep it under $6,000. I'm not moving any plumbing or changing the layout, so hopefully it will work.

I currently have a shower (44" by 36") tiled with 4x4 white tiles, it's in bad shape and needs to be torn out and redone. The slope on the floor is wrong, and I'm getting a lot of mildew and mold in the grout on the floor. I'm trying to decide between a mosaic tile floor, with subway tiles on the shower walls, or some sort of solid surface shower pan. No shower door, I am just going to use a shower curtain.

Right now, the shower and toilet are in a small room with a door that closes, and the 70" vanity is outside the door, in a little alcove off the MBR. The alcove is about 70" by 100". The carpet in the bedroom extends into the alcove, so I plan to replace that with tile, and re-tile the floor in the little shower/toilet room. I'm thinking a large, porcelain, rectified tile, either 20x20 or 18x18, with minimal grout. Will large tile work in such a small space?

I have a built-in vanity that extends from one wall to the next in the alcove, so I plan to leave that in place, but replace the old, cultured marble top with something else, maybe granite. I thought I'd check with some of the fabricators in the area and see if I could get a deal on a remnant.

So total, I'm thinking new shower (36" x 44"), re-tile the floor (about 57 square feet), new 71" x 24" vanity top, hopefully granite, new drop-in sink, new faucet and repaint. and tear out the bead board that goes halfway up the wall in the small toilet/shower room. And if I can swing it, tear off the old huge unframed mirror over the vanity that covers almost the entire wall, repair the drywall, and replace it with a framed mirror. Does that sound doable? I'm not a DIY, I'll hire all of this done.

Would love some ideas or suggestions. My goal is to sell the house within 5 years, so I'm primarily concerned with resale value. The bathroom is so awful right now, I can't imagine anyone would want to buy the house.

Comments (30)