SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tickybox_gw

Chimney Range Hoods for 30" range

tickybox
11 years ago

A question or five from a newbie on range hoods!

I have been reading through these forums, gathering everything I could from the ventilation threads. I've read to my level of understanding, and out the other side, and have questions and the hope that some of you might be able to recommend range hoods you have been happy with.

We are renovating a first floor kitchen. Right now, the oven (Ge Profile 30" five burner) is in a grandfathered spot that wouldn't even be legal under modern code. It used to have a large microwave over it re-circulating air, but that died a sparky death. So, basically anything we do is going to be an improvement, but I would like to get this right, since we can't do it a second time.

We are moving the oven to a safer spot, (Against an outside wall, since it is the first floor, we will have it vent directly out) and putting in a range hood. We only have around 33-34 inches of space to play with under the current plans, I believe, not 36".

I have been reading a lot about CFM, and it seems like I could probably get away with anywhere from 400-600 for this type of oven, but would like to double check my understanding of this. Will 400 be enough, or should we eliminate from consideration anything that is not 600? We are hardly the greatest cooks, but we do like to learn, and experiment, and right now, we are regularly setting off the smoke detectors when we cook things on high heat. Opening the windows in winter in New England is not something we enjoy doing.

Many of these posts indicate you should try and get a hood slightly bigger than your range, the better to capture smoke and grease. As mentioned above, we don't have a lot of wiggle room -- and I'm not seeing a lot of 33 inch models. Will 30 inches be enough, or just not good enough? Should I push for the design to be changed, to give us more space for a 36 inch hood? (It will mean sacrificing cabinet space, and might not be possible -- it's a small kitchen).

Finally, I have been looking at several different brands -- Best by Broan, GE Profile, Faber, and Bosch. Are there any other obvious and wonderful ones you would get, because you have it already and love it, or would buy if you could go back and do it again? These five all seem to get fairly good reviews, and have styles that we like. Budget for the hood can be up to $1,500. Would prefer not to go over that, unless it's the most amazing range hood that ever fell to earth.

TIA!

Comments (13)