SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lzerarc

Best place for kids bedrooms?

Epiarch Designs
12 years ago

No kids as of yet, but that is definitely in the equation after this new house is done. I am trying to figure out the design, on rendition 300 now it feels like. My goals for the home are much different than most on here, so it is not your typical sprawling plan and bloated spaces. (Small, fairly compact, super efficient, solar tempered home) However something we are struggling with slightly is how to arrange the bedrooms.

We have basically 2 plans, sort of. Both are single story with a full walkout basement. Both have the master on the main level. One option has a bedroom a long with the master on the main level with the rest of the bedrooms in the basement, and the other option has all of the bedrooms in the basement on the walkout side (so no window wells). Both masters are sizes appropriately to have ample space for a crib/early child years prior to moving to a full bedroom.

Having grown up in a house with the master on a different level then all of the bedrooms, I tend to not have an issue with the 2nd option, especially since it is slightly smaller and fits my goals better. The stairs just help to provide an in-home health plan! But we are debating the 2 options due to the location of the bedroom. We know it would probably be more convenient to have one closer then downstairs for the early years, but would be a lot better to have it downstairs for a majority of the rest of the years.

Any thoughts from people who have debated similar options or perhaps built it one way or the other?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21