SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Handrail for stairs---oak or maple?

flseadog
15 years ago

We must order our handrail soon. The balusters will be painted white. The handrail will go over the balusters and end in a volute over the top of the newel post. I hope I have my terms correct. I would like to stain the handrail very dark, somewhere in the dark mahogany to espresso range. The stair company has quoted a price for a maple handrail that is about twice as much as the oak handrail but I'm afraid the grain of the oak will show through very strongly even with a dark stain. The stair company says that they think oak will work out fine.

I am trying desperately to keep costs down but "twice as much" for this one item only amounts to a few hundred dollars. I know that this type of thinking has already gotten me in too deep before in justifying upgrades but staircases in general are so prominent a feature that I don't want to make the wrong choice here.

So, here's the question: would a maple handrail be a better choice both for what I think would be a better visual appeal with a dark stain and are there any other reasons to use maple rather than oak? All opinions are appreciated.

Comments (9)