SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmill1if

Final layout - would like advise on laundry room/mudrom layout

cmill1if
14 years ago

Many thanks to Shelly, I found exactly what I was looking for when I came across her plans in regards to mudroom/laundry room layout, but wasn't sure how to incorporate it into our plan and I'm not quite sure our draftsmen ever understood what I was talking about. Ideally I wanted to come in from the garage into a mudroom where our family can kick off their shoes, hang up their coats and drop stuff off, etc. (every new home builders dream, right). Our final plan didn't quite give me exactly what I wanted, but I will make do with it if this doesn't work. However, after reviewing it I came up with the following (see attached two layouts). The one is of our final layout finished from the draftsmen and the other is one that I drew in paint - not good, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about. Dimensions aren't there, but what I was thinking was taking 2 1/2 feet of additional space from the office (our only plan for using the office is to store paperwork, bills, etc. Neither my husband or I work from home so it wouldn't be used in that manner, plus we have laptops so nothing to set up except a printer). In the future we could finish the basement off and move the office down stairs. Just a thought. Anyway, I'd make the following changes:

Move the garage steps down some. This will put the steps a little further in the garage, however, my car will be parked on that side and is smaller then my husbands truck, so I think it can work. I also will turn the steps so that they are flush with the garage wall. Make a closet on your immediate left when you come in - about 3'x4'10, the powder room 5'4x4'10 (would keep this size the same except change the layout) then a 3' hallway in between. Coming in from the garage I'd put a small bench with coat hooks on the right (probably about 3 1/2 x 2 and then make the laundry room 5'6 1/2"x 8'.

Any suggestions/ideas/help you can give would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Layout before changes {{gwi:1398111}}

layout after changes

{{gwi:1398112}}

Comments (16)