SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaydles_gw

Ladies, do you enter your house with subs you don't know?

kaydles
16 years ago

Our drywallers started this week and while I'm dying to see what it looks like inside, I'm always hesitant to go inside the house by myself if there are subs there I haven't seen or met yet. I'm okay if I see a car I recognize.

Am I being too paranoid??

Comments (38)

• t-mac-mo
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't know if you can be too paranoid in this day and age. I think you have to go with your gut.

• cork2win
    16 years ago

Well, to me that qualifies as overly paranoid but I'm not the type to be afraid very often, so I guess that's easy for me to say. I'm also not the type that men hoot and holler over so I don't really worry about that kind of thing.

All you have to do is walk in and take a quick look around. You don't even have to talk to them if you don't want to. I walked in on our drywallers for the first time just yesterday and they didn't even acknowledge my presence, even though I said hello.

• Related Discussions

I don't know how you do it

Q

Comments (9)
    Oops, I think I offended some people, i.e., GC's. Sorry, that wasn't my intent. I sometimes don't use the correct words when I'm trying to express myself. What I mean to say is those folks who have to hire a stranger to deal with the whole process. I've read horror stories on this forum from people whose GC was incompetent, lazy, and just didn't care. I know not all are like that and the bad ones are in the minority. deanie1, I'm with your DH on not letting them think I'm desperate. The fact is, my cash money spends anywhere and I'll be darn if I hand it to someone who is not reliable. We are fortunate that we have not had to hurry to get our house finished. Obviously, it's taken us 4 years now!! We've been able to take our time and hire the right people to do certain jobs. From the very first person I hired, the gentleman who cleared and filled our lot. He didn't srvice residential, but took pity on me and accepted our job. We were so impressed by his professionalism and work ethic. We went out to check on the work and could not believe our eyes when we saw how much time he had taken to ensure the dirt that was added, was level and where it needed to be, not just thrown about and every bit of debri from the tree clearing was removed I'm so glad he was so dependable and that's the foot we started on in building process. I told my husband a that time, this experience reassured me that there are talented and professional people out there to do the work, it's just a matter of finding them. Up to now we've been blessed with great subs. The gentleman who did our framing was phenominal and we've called him back to put the siding up. I suppose I posted this message to let people out there who are taking "garbage" from these contrators, that you should stand up to them when they try to jerk you around. Don't accept excuses or poor customer service. Customer service to me is at least 50% of the job if not more? Again, I apologize if I offended anyone, but if you're doing your job, you shouldn't take offense. You good GC's out there need to be offended by others in your field who are making you look bad by the example they set.
    ...See More

My NY Home Improvement Nightmare, & don;t know what to do.

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, you need a lawyer ASAP. You needed one to look at the contract in the beginning. I have to think that your issues are being exacerbated by your communication style. You need to take some time and clearly and concisely list exactly what the issues are. (Number that list to assist with clarity.) Then list what should have been done under the contract. Then list what changed needed to happen, and why. This will assist your lawyer and anyone else you wish to communicate your issues with. Right now, no one can make heads or tails of what you are trying to convey.
    ...See More

What if you don't want your house to look inviting?

Q

Comments (16)
    I wasn’t concerned about whether other people will like our house. Was more looking for advice on how to create/improve the style we are going for. Thank you for all the suggestions! I had never thought to eliminate patterns or round shapes so that’s very useful. Will definitely search for minimalism and stick to only a few colors when buying furnishings (just based on the photos shared here, that seems to help streamline the whole look).
    ...See More

I don't know where to start... What would you do to my house?

Q

Comments (36)
    There's a reason that greige colors like Revere Pewter and Edgecomb Gray are so popular. LOTS of people have both warm and cool colors in their rooms. Few of us get to start from scratch and most people need to find a way to combine existing non-changeable finishes (floors, cabinets, countertops), plus furniture they already have. Often that's a mix of warm and cool colors. The greige colors look good with both, and when you add or remove something from the mix, it all still works together. You may find that with a new wall color that your existing trim, kitchen counter etc. look just fine.
    ...See More
  • amyks
    16 years ago

Gosh, I hate to start a "bash-the-drywallers" thread, however comma, I have to say they were the subs I felt the least comfortable around. And they smoked like fiends until I put a stop to that. It takes a lot of talent to walk on stilts, use power tools with precision while carrying on a conversation, all with a cigarette dangling precariously from the mouth. Anyhow, go with your gut. I ducked in and out the week they were here, and never stayed long. I felt funniest around them for whatever reason, but I learned to trust my gut many years ago and I don't question it.

Most of our subs were downright friendly and I really always felt fine being here. My gc was very protective of me, though, and tried to be here most of the time.

My DH always says we have instincts for a reason. Trust them.

Amy

• DYH
    16 years ago

If your building site is isolated, I would be very cautious. As Amy said, trust your instincts. I preferred not to go to our site unless DH, the GC or "known" subs were there. A few times I had to go by myself and took our dog.

Cameron

• try_hard
    16 years ago

I prefer to NOT enter my construction site without either my husband or the builder or the foreman. But I'm a big believer in "Stranger = Danger" and don't like to take any risks regarding being alone around unfamiliar people.

• bungeeii
    16 years ago

I would be reluctant, simply as a home-owner, to drop in on any of the subs that my GC has hired. At the very least, I'd have a conversation with the GC to inform him/her that I planned to visit the site that day. He should then be able to comment to me or the subs about the owner dropping in. This is my perspective as a male anyway.

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

If it was a single unknown sub, I might feel cautious until I had met them with another known person around (GC, hubby) and was comfortable with them. With a crew, there should be no issue at all about safety. You're not gonna get 5 different guys who's only commonality is maybe languange and employer committing murder and mayhem on a homeowner.

• worthy
    16 years ago

As a builder, I don't have a clue as to the background of many of the subtrade employees who work for me. Maybe in their off hours they dress like clowns and throw lots of parties for kids.

The taper the drywaller hired for my last job was a drunken tattooed drug-using prostitute-consorting Tennessee hillbilly.

At one point, as he stormed over to the house to threaten someone, I had one hand on my Randall buck knife in my pocket, the other very visibly on my cell phone. "I know you're going to call 911! You won't need to! I'm going. You mother##@+&*%%!!" And for the next month, he hung out with drunken Buddy down the block occasionally yelling out to me. Fun build!

• amyks
    16 years ago

worthy, I promise you if you write a book I will buy it! I cannot imagine the number of stories you have to tell, I LOVE housebuilding stories! Any more? Come on....

Amy

• sue36
    16 years ago

When we were building I had walk through meetings scheduled with the plumber, heating guy and electrician right after the frame was done. DH had to go away for several days and I didn't want to reschedule the meetings (since it took SO LONG to get them in the first place). I had my father there. Since he knows construction, it made sense. I actually did it for a second set of ears, not safety reasons. I had no issue being alone in the house with workers.

I think walking to a parking lot alone at night is more dangerous than being in a house with a crew of workers. But if I showed up and didn't feel completely comfortable I would get on my phone (even if I just pretended) or would leave. I admit, the foundation guys were a little scary looking. Put them in orange and they'd look like a work release crew.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Drugged out roofer who went sideways on an old house recover threatened anyone nearby w/ death by razor blade knife. Cops were called and upon arrival the roofer threatened to jump off the death defying 7' to a lush grass lawn below. The cops were trying hard not to laugh (against protocol) and finally got the lunatic down and hauled off.

• amyks
    16 years ago

sierraest, literally laughing out loud....yes, 7 foot to a soft landing is a gutsy threat....

more please...

Amy

• worthy
    16 years ago

SE LOL!

One time, I was at the site near midnight when a broken down minivan racing down the street braked to a screeching halt on the wrong side of the street and at least six swarthy young men with beards jumped out, grabbed something from the van and ran up the driveway towards me.

Yikes! Mideast terrorists!

No. Just some of the everchanging cadre of helpers for Sayeed, the Iranian tilesetter I had hired who worked his own hours in his own sometimes startling way. He always seemed to be driving a different jalopy too. It was, we later surmised, a way of avoiding his creditors.

• kbmas0n
    16 years ago

I am a small, smokin' hot , early-20's gal who feels totally comfortable meeting with any and all of my subs, by myself, at our extremely isolated jobsite...

With my buck knife and dog right next to me.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Worthy, you definetely need to write that book! As Amy says, keep 'em comin'!

• worthy
    16 years ago

In tight cut-offs and a teenie tiny tanktop? A dream come true!

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Yup, I march right up to anyone I don't know, look them in the eye, introduce myself, mention that I'm the homeowner, and shake hands. We're waaay out there, way off even the little road, but I figure that too many people know who's on what job for a crew member to think he could get away with anything of that nature.

However, if I ever saw the painter that we were indirectly responsible of having fired  at our jobsite OR on the street  I'd quickly head the other direction!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

LOL!!!! Oh my gosh. I am with Amy...I would buy that book in a heart beat. SE your story made me laugh so hard!

Kate - I hear ya! Our GC knows I go to the house everyday and I pretty much just walk right on in. I did act like I was on my cell phone one time when the sheet rockers where there. It didn't work though because my dang phone rang! LOL! Luckily I was out side and I *think* no one knew the better. I quickly made a mental note...next time you are fake talking to someone, call your own voice mail or turn the ringer off!!!

Waiting for more stories............

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I'be had to meet a couple of people to get estimates on things and I made sure I had all the windows and doors open and I never turned my back on them.

I'm more uncomfortable when I just go there to clean up. Always afraid someone will come "sneak" up on me. So I bring the dog now.

A word to the wise. If you want to make sure you're getting an accurate estimate on anything, just tell them your husband's a contractor. Immediately they say, oh, so I can't cheat you, can I? chuckle, chuckle. If they return the call then I know they are legit.

Turns out one guy had a wife that was more worried about him than I was. She went with him on all his estimates. Boy, that sent a red flag flying in my face. It was good he never called back when I told him my husband was a contractor. LOL

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

I've had the odd experience of running into subs "around town" and not recognizing them. It'd be fine, except they ALL remember seeing/meeting me because we're new there. It's so hard to get used to going into a restaurant or store and having someone smile & wave like they know you...and having no idea who they are. I feel bad, but each time I walk through with my GC, the guys are working and I'm just mesmerized by the house progress. Yet, every other person who sees us around town knows who we are and has worked on our house it seems like!

• jannie
    16 years ago

I've had two bad experiences with people I hired to do work in my house. I'm a female. My husband works and sometimes travels,so I'm home alone quite often. I won't describe the first experience,it's too graphic. The second was a guy who did some interior painting. He was highly recommended by a member of our church. He came for two days,over a weekend. Saturday was fine. He came in, did several hours of the painting, and left. But the second day he showed up smelling of alcohol. He came inside but refused to paint. He told me "I need money to buy groceries". Yeah,groceries like more beer... I sent him away but I was very frightened. He never came back,never finished the painting. We told our friend at church what happened. Trust your gut. Don't go inside unless your gusband or the GC are with you.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I did carry a 357 to a furniture delivery one time! It was at a previous home while I was a divorced mom alone in the woods. I left work and got there before them so that I could wear it! Business suit. 357. Executive car. They set that furniture up perfectly! :-)

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

I had a cleanup crew show up once who had a total of four teeth between them. They were cleaning up drywall dust with a broom that had about 6 whiskers, and no masks. We were standing near my truck when a Sheriff's car drove by, and the one guy hit the deck. When the car was gone, he came back up, looked around, and said "I thunk I saw a quarter down there...."

"A word to the wise. If you want to make sure you're getting an accurate estimate on anything, just tell them your husband's a contractor. Immediately they say, oh, so I can't cheat you, can I? chuckle, chuckle. If they return the call then I know they are legit." --Nice, insulting generalization.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

Please remember these stories for AFTER you move in as well. Two years ago I talked to a landscape architect about some projects in our back yard. He said he didn't have the time for a new job but that it was simple enough that his brother could do it...he said his brother helps him do all his "dirty work" and was a hard worker.

I set up an appt with the brother and he came over on a day when I was home alone with our dd. He came over on his bicycle and looked like he was strung out on something. I couldn't be sure...and thought I was maybe just being judgemental. He got the job done but I remember feeling relieved that he was finished and not coming by anymore.

A month later my neighbor RAN over to us during brunch one Sunday and she was shaking the newspaper at us. "Isn't this the guy you had working on your yard?"

He had murdered an elderly couple that he was working for...all to get drug money. He's now in prison and we do our own yard work.

There was also the handyman that came to quote us on some jobs and my Mom was over that day...I'm so glad I wasn't alone with him. He was making comments about me breastfeeding and how "womanly" it was (my breastpump all taken apart and drying on the counter). That guy was so creepy. Whenever I have service people to the house now I call my DH ahead of time and give him the name/phone number of the company that's coming out just so there's someone who knows! Maybe I'm paranoid...but it seems we've had some weirdos.

• kaydles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I just now checked this thread after posting last night! And all along I thought I was being paranoid! Some crazy stories out there!

I am also very hesitant to let a worker in the house (plumber or whatever) when I'm by myself.

While the extreme stories of rape and murder are extremely rare, I get annoyed more by the lame comments I get from time to time. You'd think these men have never seen a woman before!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Jasonmi7 "I had a cleanup crew show up once who had a total of four teeth between them." OMG.............I am still laughing !!!!!!
    "I thunk I saw a quarter down there...." LMAO

• scwren
    16 years ago

I usually have a couple of the kids with me when I'm at the house. The commotion from them is enough to give any weirdo's second thoughts at trying anything. It'd be too much hassle. ;)

Seriously - I don't go in if I am alone with a sub I haven't met.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

saskatchewan, I got a better one. I had a drywall crew once who also owned a drywall delivery service. These guys were all from the same family, all ex-marines, and all were ex-professional 'wrestlers'. They were huge. I'm not small, but I'd get a crick in my neck looking up at them. 'Baby', the smallest, was 6' 5" tall and weighed in at 300 pounds; all muscle, no fat. Heck, even their grandfather, who made Jack Palance look like a floozy, worked on the jobs.

When they drywalled a house, the crew would come out the night before to verify all the measurements, discuss any issues, problems, difficult areas, plan out their attack; and then....the next day they'd drywall and finish the house. All within 48 hours from bringing in the drywall to perfection.

In 2001, I was building a house in what was an old cornfield. It was the old hunting grounds of this one guy, who every night, tooted by and screamed obscenities at us while we were doing F and F (foundation and framing), because it was his old (illegal), hunting grounds, and we ruined it. He drove this old, nasty pickup that had a beer can muffler and relied on grace, rather than mechanics, to make it run. He'd slow down, scream a drunken slur or two, then carefully rev it up and take off down the road.

Well, I was standing out there with my drywall crew of huge ex-marines and WWF wrestlers, discussing the merits of Grabber vs. McFeely's drywall screws, when he went by one evening, and leaned out the window and yelled "You #######! If I had a liddle mur time, I'd kick evury one of yur azzes!" He must have had that extra, additional shot of encouragement at the Hilltop Tavern, because he also gave us a big long....er...."number 1 salute" with his middle finger. Then he gave that ol' truck just a little 'too' much gas, and stalled it. Right there on the road in front of little ol' me and five men who might have been extras in the movie '300'.

I don't believe I've ever seen a more panicked look on a person's face at that moment, when the five drywall guys started to move towards his truck, one of them saying "what did you say......?"

• bungeeii
    16 years ago

Michigan, bad teeth and Hilltop Tavern. Can only be one place. Oscoda.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Jason, cute story until you said what I posted was an insulting, generalization. What are you talking about?

• sue36
    16 years ago

I believe the insulting generalization is that workers would screw you unless they knew you knew your stuff because your DH is a GC.

• jasonmi7
    16 years ago

Yup. Sorry Brutus; should have phrased it differently, but the idea that everyone is going to cheat you is a generalization; and I'm very....sensitive to overgeneralizations of contractors. Sorry I didn't phrase it differently.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

That's OK Jason, sometimes I don't explain my thoughts clearly and they come out as overgeneralizations. I tend to rush through my thoughts sometimes when posting and I do need to better explain myself. I forget people don't know me and can only judge what I've written by what's printed. No harm done.

My point was that the cheaters are scared off by knowing my husband is a GC, that's all. No way do I think the majority of GC's are cheaters.

When I first started having to call people out for estimates, etc. I even mentioned on this forum that I must be lucky or something because I didn't have any creeps show up, that everyone was nice and professional and it was smooth sailing for me.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

men are usually afraid of ME. (if they know what's good for them)

• worthy
    16 years ago

A g.c. told this one about a roofer who was too much into some drug or other and started swinging his razor knife wildly threatening anyone in sight. When the police arrived, he switched to suicidal, threatening to jump to his death off the roof. All of 7.5 feet to a lush green lawn. Trained to be neutral in such situatons, it was all the cops could do to stop bursting out in laughter.

• lleet
    16 years ago

If you feel uncomfortable, then itÂs probably better to be safe then sorry.

But, I have to say, IÂve never thought twice about going to my house. I live in a neighborhood and have great neighbors so itÂs probably different than if it was an isolated construction site. I also believe it is my house and that I should not be intimidated to stop by and visit, and if I did, then I would say something to by GC. I expect that he would hire professional and courteous subs, regardless of the job or skill level needed. To date, everyone has been a pleasure to work with.

• ponydoc
    16 years ago

The drywallers seem to be their own "special breed" all over don't they!

Having said that.... I have never been afraid to go in the house with any sub. In fact it's a little more the other way around- when I see a car or truck I don't recognize- with no name on the side- I boogie over there and find out who is in my house! It's a little different here though- we already live here so more the feel they are encroaching on my turf from the beginning. We also have dogs... and guns. LOL Not to mention I know how to castrate.

PD