SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_m

What shall we do about the tub?

12 years ago

Hello,

This is my first time posting to the Bathroom forum. I've made a number of posts on the Kitchen forum during our kitchen remodel, and I've continued to lurk around that forum. Lately I've started reading posts on this forum since we're thinking of remodeling our bathroom. And, so it feels like time to ask my first question.

Our main bathroom currently includes the original tan tub from the late 70's. The other fixtures had been replaced in the late 80's, but we'd most likely end up getting at least a new vanity and sink in addition to a new tub as part of the remodel.

We have tons of remodeling experience and lots of DIY experience, so most of the bathroom remodel is within the realm of what DH and I can do ourselves including plumbing, electrical, tiling. What scares me the most is the bathtub.

The current bathtub is cast iron (with ceramic tile surround). The tub has a lot of hard water stains and rust stains which I've never been able to successfully clean. So, I'd REALLY like to replace the tub.

The bathroom is on the top floor of a split level house. Is it conceivable for us to get the old cast iron tub out of there without causing a ton of collateral damage? How much help would we need? And, would it be possible to get a new cast iron tub up two half flights of stairs, down a short hallway and through the doorway to the existing bathroom?

Does anyone have experience or recommendations to share on this topic? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments (11)