SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hyasinth

Tiny master bathroom forced reno - expand into small m. bedroom?

hyasinth
11 years ago

Our 1948 concrete block ranch has a small master bedroom (11' x 11') with an insanly small bathroom (which was an addition - slab floor!).

So...some tiles fell off the shower wall, reveiling the source of the mold I've been smelling since we moved in a year ago...moldy cement board, wood, and foam. We quickly gutted the shower and now the bedroom doesn't smell of mold...but is super cold because there is a draft.

This bathroom is so small that the sink is actually outside of it. When I get out of the 30" x 30" shower, I feel like I step onto the toliet (which when you sit on feels like your elbow is "in" the wall).

It seems easier to just "take over" the entire addition and make it into a bathroom. But that will seriously limit the light and space in the bedroom.

Expanding the bathroom further into the addition (maybe halfway) makes the remainder of the addition feel funny.

Any creative ideas or opinions floating around?

We're on a limited budget (hoping to DIY but now am apprehensive about the magnitu" x f this project - ahem...slab floor, tile work, possibly moving fixtures, etc..).

Comments (12)