SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Fed Up!!! Why can't i get a good haircut?!!!

weed30 St. Louis
14 years ago

I went to a stylist for over 20 years. She did a wonderful job...my style changed many times, and it always looked great. Then she gave me a few bad cuts. The details aren't important, but I no longer go to her. Since then, (been about a year), I cannot for the life of me get a great cut.

It seems I either get just a 'so-so' cut - not bad, but not something that wants me want to run back to that person. Or I end up in the chair of an 'artiste' that apparently isn't paying attention to what I am telling them! I am VERY specific, explaining the cut I would like and how I style my hair. I think it's very important to tell a stylist how I do my hair, and what I am willing/not willing to do at home, so they can give me a cut that I'm capable of working with.

So today, I go to yet another new one. Very popular salon. The owner cuts my hair. The top looks good, but the back...OMG! I knew it was short, but when he finally handed me the mirror it looked like a drunk gerbil had been turned loose back there! WTF??!!! He said he liked to cut hair 'in its natural growth pattern'. With my hair, that translated into a bizarre, uneven, crazy bottom line that included what looked like a bald spot!!!! I made him fix it so it looks relatively even, but now it's really freakin' short, and above that are these kind of 'ledges'. It doesn't look totally awful, and I know I'm the worst critic, but jeez! I TOLD HIM WHAT I WANTED!

The even WORSE part is what I was charged. I almost had a stroke when I got the bill. I knew he would be high, so his $65 cut was not a surprise, but I also got highlights and lowlights from another person at the salon. It was a partial - only the top of my head. $130!!!!!!! Are you f'in kidding me??? The list price said "85+". Yes, my fault for not asking for the definition of "+", but $130.00?????!!!! It's always p'd me off that you're charged more for highlights+lowlights anyway. If I got all highlights, it's xxx price. But add in lowlights and the apparently hugely expensive extra step of mixing an additional bowl of color is then factored in. It's the exact same amount of work! Give me a break!

This is the 4th new stylist I've been to. I am NOT asking for a difficult cut! I just don't understand! My next move is to say "what the heck" and go to the person that cuts a coworker's hair. She goes to Great Clips or Supercuts, forgot which, and her hair is really cute. Those places have always terrified me, but I'm beginning to think they are the way to go. At least I'm only out $15 for a potentially carpy cut instead of $50 - $80! Or maybe I should just get a Flowbee...

Comments (19)

Sponsored