SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomadic_decorator

1 floor tile cracked after installation -- more cracks coming?

debtro
16 years ago

We had 12x12 quality travertine tiles installed on our bathroom floor. Had some issues during the remodel, contractors going 90% of the way but that last 10% of paying attention to detail not there. For example we found one floor tile must have cracked in the corner during install and they installed it anyway and grouted the crack! Because of things like that, we examined every inch of the floor very carefully.

Now 3 weeks after the remodel is done, this morning I see a tile in the middle of the floor is cracked in two places -- one diagonal crack near the corner and another diagonal crack all the way across closer to the middle of the tile. I'm POSITIVE this is a very new crack.

Obviously we'll call the contractor. My question is ... if this happened already in one tile, in your experience, are we likely to see more tiles crack? I do not know how they did the thinset. The contractor laid the floor in 1 day while we were at work so we never saw them do it. Is there anything we should know, regarding what to ask of the contractor regarding the install??

We just had a debriefing with the salesperson/estimator on Friday and we discussed the issues we had with this job, and some minor things to fix. However I hadn't noticed this cracked tile until today. Wondering if we've got a big fix coming up ...

Thanks for any help ...

Comments (3)