SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Approach To Calculating Vent Hood and MUA Required

John Liu
13 years ago

Geek time here.

I decided to try to calculate the required hood, exhaust fan, and make-up air for my desired kitchen. This will be multiple posts over a period of time, as there are several steps that I won't get done in one night. But here goes.

Assuming 36'' commercial range w/ salamander broiler (hey, I can dream), hood 42'' on sides and 60'' on front (so, about 12'' overhang on sides and about 8'' on front, leading edge of hood about 6' 6'', both range and hood mounted against the back wall, with full side panels extending down to height of the cooking surface.

So, step one, how much exhaust airflow?

I used two methods. One is a generic calculator - for hood of circumference c, mounted at height y above source, to achieve capture air velocity v, what is airflow A. The calculator recommends v >= 0.2 m/sec. With no side panels, using c = 3.7 m (just front and sides), y = 0.69 m, calculator says I need A = 3,310 cfm (!). Not sure how to incorporate the side panels, but I decided to subtract them from circumference, leaving c = 2.6 m (one side panel) or c = 1.5 m (two side panels). Get A = 2,400 cfm (one side panel) or 1,500 cfm (full side panels).

Link is http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/exhaust-hoods-d_1036.html

Another is a commercial kitchen ventilation design guide. This factors in the volume of contaminated air Qc produced by each type of cooking equipment, area A of equipment and of hood, etc. Combining the Qc of a gas range and a salamander, using A = 36" x 33", and hood area 42" x 60", I get 1,400 cfm. Adding the 0.9X factor for using side panels, I get 1,260 cfm.

Link is http://old.greenheck.com/pdf/kitchen/KVSAppl&DesignSeptember2005.pdf

I figure the generic calculator is not designed for cooking equipment (which produces heated contaminated air, which naturally rises), so I'll use the second result, 1,260 cfm.

Jeez, this is already a lot higher than I expected. Not a lot of residential exhaust hoods/fans go above 1,000 cfm.

But, to be fair, the assumed salamander makes a huge difference in the calculation, and that's not a usual residential appliance (unless you have a Bluestar I guess). And the calculation assumes the burners, oven and salamander are all cooking simultaneously.

Anyway, on to step two - later.

I welcome corrections, comments, derision, anything. I am not a HVAC expert at all so I'm feeling my way along here.

Comments (7)