SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

laminate on bathroom vanity (advise to do-it-yourselfer please)

maidinmontana
15 years ago

I am a renter so I have to put up with a lot of other peoples choices, so in the master bath I decided to do away with the 80's blue counter top. It is formica or laminate whatever they call it. Well, I decided to take the cheap route and bought crylon fusion spray paint. It went on good and everything was fine until I set stuff on it, it left indents in the surface, so I bought some more paint and rolled it on, (I know, what was I thinking) anyway, the end result was anything but accomplished. Now I am back to square one. I want to resurface the entire counter top with a sheet of laminate. I have read about the process, the contact cement, the wood dowels to allow for accurate placement, I am pretty sure I can do it, my ?'s are

1. Will it work to put the laminate over the already painted surface?

2. I used a solvent to remove the "bumps" from the marred spot, now it's slightly bumpy, nothing raised just rough to the touch, is this going to affect the laminate once it is on?

3. What is the best way to cut the laminate? I saw a cutter at Lowes that looks a lot like a box knife but it was $27.00 I do have a jigsaw, will that work?

Any other suggestions or something I didn't think of or mention would be appreciated as well.The countertop is only 4 1/2 ' long.

PS I'm a woman, not that it matters, but that might explain some of the bonehead flair of my question/concerns.

Comments (3)