SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Grout for Ostrich Gray Slate/Quartzite Tile

pricklypearcactus
13 years ago

I am in the process of installing (DIY) honed ostrich gray / silver gray slate / quartzite tiles (16x16) in my laundry room / mud room, powder room, and pantry. I would really appreciate grout recommendations. Overall, the tiles are smooth with primarily silver, charcoal, and black coloring. There is a great deal of variation and strong patterns of veining and splotching in the tile. I have sourced from a local stone tile wholesaler so I do not have an exact "brand", but the stone looks just like Arizona Tile's Ostrich Grey Honed Quartzite.

I am considering either a charcoal or black grout that would match the dark tones in the tile, or a silver or gray grout that would match the lighter tones in the tile. What would be the effect of matching the dark vs light tones on the overall look of the tile?

Are there any brands that would be long lasting and retain color? I do intend to seal the grout (and of course the tile), but I would like to make certain I select a high quality product.

I read in another post that grout tends to dry lighter than grout sample sticks. Is this true? For all brands? Should I always select a sample darker than I really want? I have only ever worked with white grout and do not want to make a mistake.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comments (6)