SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hakurai

Is an in-line blower for hood a bad idea, mounted in the kitchen?

hakurai
15 years ago

So this is a follow-up to my crazy hood installation question before.

I'm on the verge of buying a Fantech FDK 10XL, due in large part to advice on this forum (thank you daviddro1 and clinresga). It will be mounted in 10" duct that will go directly out of an opening in a window in my kitchen.

It has ample CFM for my needs, BUT, I'm concerned about having it in my kitchen for noise reasons. There is great info on the forum regarding noise, but it compares remote equiplment (fantech in-line, or a roof mounted blower) installed IN AN ATTIC or ON THE ROOF, to an internal unit in the kitchen.

If I go down this road, I will have an inline blower IN MY KITCHEN, right above the hood. Remote mounting is not an option. I can mount it w/ neoprene washers, etc., but it is still rated at 20 sones which is REALLY loud.

It won't be running at full tilt most of the time, and I'll install it w/ variable speed, but still, 20 sones is no joke, and I worry it will be too loud. Davidro1 who suggested the fantech guesses it wont be too loud so long as it isn't at highest speed, I'd love to hear some other opinions. For those of you who have one of these in your attic, how would you feel about waking to discover some gnome had reinstalled it farther down the duct work, in your kitchen? Would you be upset because of the insane noise?

Thanks,

J

Comments (10)