SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Some Questions: Shower Recessed Light, whole 'Kit' ?

ladyamity
16 years ago

Hello,

I am usually on the Decorating Forum but I have some specific questions regarding Wet Location lighting so I am hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction.

We are doing a very budget renovation of our teeny, tiny Master Bathroom that was an after-thought of the previous homeowners.

When we purchased the house over 25 years ago, and wanting to do some little renovations we soon found out that everything done in this home by the P.O.'s was very make-shift.

Example: Broom handle nailed to a header over a window to make up the space difference.

And that was just the beginning of the surprises we've found over the years.

The very last room still yet to have any upgrades will be this M. Bath in our bedroom and from what we can tell it was originally a 5' x 8' closet.

From door frame to back wall the bathroom is/was 5' deep.

End to end, including the 3' x 4.5' shower stall in one end, is 8'.

We have already DIY expanded the bathroom by 23 inches from door frame to back wall.

We've purchased the Toto Toilet, the fixtures, the vanity/sink, the tile and last weekend hubby put in a new, larger window.

We are overly-ready to dig in.

One, well, two little problems----both I can inquire about here on this forum (I think?) but I'll start with the wet location lighting.

With the extra space, we are going to turn our cubby-hold shower stall into something where we can actually move our arms to wash our bodies. LOL

I'm having some physical problems and hubby wants to add a tiled seat in the corner of the new shower area (the shaving legs thing is becoming more difficult) and a canned light in the ceiling directly above the tiled seat.

Now, if you've been patient enough to stick with me this long, here is our problem.

We have looked high and low for a "Kit"-- The recessed light 'can' to go into the attic crawl space and the accompanying trim, glass, seal, the works.

Why are we only finding 'Recessed Lighting for Wet Location Trim'

Operative word: Trim.

As in, the recessed shower light only comes with a trim?

What about the rest of it?

As my husband would say "Where are the guts?" LOL

Are there no complete kits anymore?

I remember when we re-did our little kitchen he bought 2 cans, trim and all (they came with the bulbs, even!) and installed them in the ceiling of old construction, just over my stove/range.

What happened to the all-in-one recessed light in a box?

Or, am I totally out of the ballpark here?

Can anyone direct me to what we will be needing to give us a light in the ceiling of the shower (preferably with a dark bronze/orb trim, not that I'm picky or anything like that. *grin*)

Thank you so very much for any advice, help, tips you can offer.

Amity

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!