SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotusmoss

Help with Concrete Shower in Bathroom

Cat S.
11 years ago

We're most likely moving into a new house and I'd love advice about how to redo the shower. The previous owners wanted a walk-in shower and created this modern/adobe looking shower in what is a 1904 Victorian:

We are interested in doing a cost-effective and more historically appropriate remodel of the bathroom. I'm thinking classic white subway tile in the shower, basketweave or penny tile floor, paint the existing beadboard white, and the walls gray, and a new vanity and medicine cabinet.

In the meantime, I have no idea what to do with the shower. The shower is fully functioning and new within the last two years, so it's all properly waterproofed, etc. as far as we know. We think that it's concrete spread on mesh. Can we tile directly over the concrete? Also, I'm thinking that we should knock out the front concrete to open the space up and perhaps install a half-glass door to save some money but let light in (more cost effective than a custom full glass front, which seems like it would be at least $2,000+. Something like this: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/DreamLine-Aqua-48x72-inch-Clear-Glass-and-Chrome-Shower-Door/5688481/product.html ).

Here are some inspiration photos:
Example of Tiling
Knocked out front with glass door
Example of tiling and glass front with glass block windows like our shower
Modern shower with tiling and glass
Subway tile shower with glass front>

Any advice about how to do this and keep costs down? I'm hoping that we don't need to demo the whole shower as we can't afford that.

Thanks for any help for ideas in our planning stages.

Comments (6)