SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

What is reasonable labor for tile installation?

pps7
14 years ago

What is the typical labor cost for tile installation if you're not doing anything fancy just laying 12 x 12 or 6 x6 tile. Excluding the cost of the tile but including thinset and grout materials?

We got our estimate for tiling and it seems they are charging us $18-22/square foot. I'm pretty sure the tile cost about $2-3/square foot although they didn't break it down. Thats seems really excessive for the labor portion. I'm going to talk to my builder and the tile store b/c that is well over our budget. My builder had allocated $10-12 square foot for labor and $2-3/square foot for tile.

For example: In our basement bath-the cost to tile a 3x5 tub surround(about 78 sqaure feet) came in at $1818. I've chosen basic plain white 6 x 6 porcelain tile which I was told is pretty cheap. That is $23/sqaure feet.

Laundry room: is approx 75 square feet. Cost $1343. $18/square foot. The tile is 12 x 12, 2 colors in a checkerboard pattern. Now it's possible that the tile I choose is too expensive,although online I've found it for less than $3/sqaure foot.I also made it clear that I wanted to be in the $2-3/square foot during the selection process.

What am I missing?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio