SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

Antique Quilt ...Keeping the dealer honest

flyingflower
17 years ago

(I'm double-posting this on the quilt forum)

I found a quilt at an antique store that I want to buy. The owner of this shop says she has "certification in appraisals specializing in textiles". Given her knowledge and experience she has determined this quilt is at least 100 years old. I told her I would like her to put it in writing that this quilt is the age she claims it is.

Now she's saying she will "write a description on the receipt for insurance purposes". A Description? I didn't ask for it to be described, I asked for an appraisal of it's age. And this has nothing to do with insurance. It's to keep her honest and to protect myself so I'm not sold a quilt that isn't what she says it is. If she puts it in writing that it's an antique and it turns out not to be is she guilty of fraud?

As it is I'm not comfortable asking the person I'm buying the item from to give me an appraisal. That's like asking the fox to guard the hen house.

What is your experience having quilts (or textiles) appraised? Exactly how much value should a buyer place on an appraisal anyway? How do you protect yourself when you buy a quilt, to be assured you are getting what you think you're getting?

Comments (5)