SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Range hoods....do they always need to be wider than the range?

artemis78
14 years ago

I'm stuck on the range front, and wondered if anyone could help.

We are brand new to range hoods, since our ancient kitchen has no venting. We have a 36" vintage gas stove (I think the burners are two 9K BTU, two 12K BTU, and a 20K BTU oven---or something in that vicinity). The hood will go between two upper cabinets, so settling on its size is holding up getting the specs on those sorted out---augh.

I had read that range hoods should extend beyond the range three inches on either side, so I've been hunting for a 42" hood. However, I've read of a number of people using 36" hoods with 36" ranges, and there seem to be a LOT more options in that size---and it makes the math on balancing the cabinet door sizes work much better, since they aren't symmetrical.

Should we really stay with a 42" wide hood to get decent ventilation, or will it work to have a 36" hood? How does that change (if at all) if we go with a deeper hood? (The cabinets on that wall will be 27" deep and our range is about 28" deep, so from that perspective we could use a 27" deep hood without too much concern design-wise.) In either case it will be a wall hood, probably the canopy chimney type (runs straight up the wall and vents through the roof).

Help---thanks!!

Comments (6)