SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alek_gw

PICTURES of Virco Stainless Grill from Costco

alek
21 years ago

I posted this to the two threads that are debating the

Costco Virco versus Sam's Club Member's Only BBQ ...

so pls post any followups there - just thoughts I would

post at the "top level" for those folks looking for this.

Pictures can be found at:

http://www.komar.org/bbq/virco

alek

Comments (42)

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Congrats Alek, & thanks for the pics. It sure is exciting to buy something REALLY nice isn't it? :)

Here's another with the handle (on right) and extra shelf (left) installed which is pretty much all you have to do to set it up. By the way - the weight limit on that side shelf is 65 pounds. :) Trust me - I could stand on it!

{{gwi:1388566}}

• lpsage
    21 years ago

Alek:
    Excellent investigative work here. The Virco is a good grill and you have captured that point well with your descriptions and photos. I will admit the Virco does have some advantages over the MM. However, when I saw the burners, I saw the key(and it's a big one)disadvantage.
    The stainless "tube" burners are similar in design to Weber's stainless burners. They are thin walled stainless steel. They will provide years of solid service.....about 3
    in most climates. I had a Weber for 7 years and admittedly they are good solid performers. Weber nickles and dimes you with parts. The aluminum shell lasts forever, all other parts routinely rust or corrode within a 3-4 year period. requiring costly Weber replacements.....like the stainless steel tube burners, the "Flavorizer" bars, ignitor shield, to name a few. The only upside is the parts will most likely always be available albeit for a steep price.

All in all, they are both good grills. Costco had to react and they did so well with the Virco. The DCS they were offering at the same price point(the Kirkland Signature was
    made by DCS,Dynamic Cooking Systems)could not compete with the MM for $200 less. Additionally,it lacked several features(i.e. side burner,infrared back burner) and was far smaller.
    As a Certified Grill Expert(CGE), my professional recommendation still remains with the MM for the money.
    Parts availablility going forward for the Virco is questionnable as well. Not so for the Grand Hall manufactured MM.

BTW, should anyone doubt my professional designation, I will gladly provide information about the certification program.

• Related Discussions

New Virco Model at Costco

Q

Comments (6)
    After waiting over 6 weeks with no delivery date in sight, I called Costco Corporate. As usual, they were excellent (I talked to the buyer who handles these grills) and gave me a delivery date to our local (Bakersfield, California) Costco. 4 days later, my wife and I "christened" our new grill with 3 New York steaks. They were perfect. The flames on my outside burner did not change as I turned the knob from high to low, so I called the number in the Manual (it's even on the grill) and they said I needed a new valve and would send it out as soon as I faxed them a copy of my receipt. Great service - no questions - just do what needs to be done. That was a nice sign of a service oriented manufacturer. Anyway, I'm anxious to chat with those of you who have this grill - or one of the earlier versions - as this stainless steel thing is a little new to me. Have a few questions.
    ...See More

New Virco Grill at Costco in Bellingham?

Q

Comments (1)
    Taiwan. All high-end products that come out of the orient come from Taiwan.This unit is 100% stainless steel.Check out the ongoing debate MM vs virco on other posts. Very entertaining reading.
    ...See More

Virco & other Grilling Information

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi LiveBlues! I am new to the Stainless grills as well. Grew up in Louisiana where we did a lot of deep pit - and if you cooked OVER a fire it was called "grilling" not BBQ. In any event, the one major thing I have learned is about the cleaning. Maybe like you, when I grilled, the drippings just went into the briquettes or lava rock (which were black or grey anyway) and were finally burned up in the heat (ie: the drippings never really showed). But I had a little trouble getting used to seeing the drippings falling onto my nice, clean, shiny "flame tamers" under the grill and over the flames. After going thru the painful process of cleaning them each time, I finally decided to just let them burn off and started cleaning the grill via the instructions: right after cooking - when the grill is still hot - take some water and a metal brush and start scrubbing the grill. It works great. Everything comes off so much easier and looks like new. In mine, it all drops down to the grease tray below which I just take out and remove the tinfoil I have lined it with. It's recommended to use a cooking (hot) mitten when cleaning because of the steam. Anyway, hope you enjoy your stainless.
    ...See More

Virco now available on line at Costco.com

Q

Comments (13)
    Converting to NG was quite easy. You will need to obtain a hose to hook up the grill to your gas line. I purchased mine at Home Depot. It is made by Charbroil, is a 12' long hose that attached directly to the grill on one end and has a quick disconnect fitting on the other end. The fitting has a female 3/8" pipe fitting on it, so if you have a standard 1/2" pipe stub, all you need is a reducer and some thread tape. I personally didn't use a regulator. Some people feel it is helpful in maintaining a certain pressure, but I haven't seen a need for one. I installed a gas pool heater a couple of years ago and didn't put one on there either, no problems with that. After all, I think that is one thing the gas meter does for all of your appliances anyway. The kit that you will get from Virco should contain all new valves with the orifices in them already. I am not sure why they do that, the valves seem the same and the orifices just screw in. You will also get a new "cage" for the side burner that mounts underneath it. The easiest way, for me at least, was to first remove the knobs from the front of the grill (after of course turning off, disconnecting, and removing the lp tank). Then, if you look under the edge of the control panel, you will need to undo the lp hose, the fitting for the side burner, and the fitting for the rear burner. Once you remove these, then disassemble the ignitors. This is done by simply unscrewing the buttons and removing the batteries, then unscrew the plastic nuts that hold the ignitor assemblies to the front panel, remove the assemblies from the rear of the panel and let hang. Now, you can remove the four screw (two on each end) of the front panel, and the panel will come off. With the panel off you can now replace the valves. You will need to disassemble the side burner to replace that orifice, it is pretty strait forward. The rear burner orifice needs to be replaced as well. Just remove the cover on the rear of the bbq (two screws). I Hope this helps, I am sure you will find it easy.
    ...See More
  • meagain1
    21 years ago

LOL - Maybe being a "Certified Grill Expert" allows special x-ray vision to enable you to judge the thickness of items from photos, but apparently the manufacturer has a bit more faith in those burners as you.

They warranty those "thin" burners for a min. of 5 years. So my guess is they aren't exactly designed for 3.

Also, the Kirkland DOES have a side burner as well as an infrared back burner.

So far, you've posted erroneous, wrong comments on both grills in the past few days.

To quote your comment to me on another thread when I pointed out your innaccurate statements...... "It would be best if you researched your facts a bit more carefully before posting where impressionable consumers might take your posts seriously.
    Don't you think you owe that to your fellow grillers?"

• lpsage
    21 years ago

Your "guess" is incorrect. Hopefully for you, there will be someone around to honor your warranty. You are a clown and do not take grilling seriously.

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Oh - I see. Based on your view of a photo, my stainless steel burners will not last longer than 3 years. Can you suggest some lottery numbers I can play also?

Sorry to hear about your burners rusting so much after only 7 months. Also sorry to hear about the rubber on your ignitor deteriorating in such a short time.

Oh - And sorry to hear that a becoming a "Certified Grill Expert (CGE)" doesn't involve not being a Troll on boards.

Based on your remarks regarding Cheeseburger eating - I guess you truely would know the meaning of clown.

Ta! Enjoy your grill and congratulations on your accomplishment at becoming a 'Certified Grill Expert'

Here is a link that might be useful: Lpsage - Watch those Cheeseburgers!

• lpsage
    21 years ago

Yo Meatagain,

It's amusing to see a nitwit like you tracking down my prior posts. Makes one wonder what your sex life is like...what your life is like in general!!!
    Thank you for paying me the homage that you owe me.
    Now I have mission for you. Stop touching yourself, the pocket billiards game is over.

The MM grill rules for the money. You need to watch what you eat and serve, just like fat Billy from CT.

I am a CGE(Certified Grill Expert)

• jamesf
    21 years ago

Nice way to kill a post. Why would you bring up a sex life
    preference unless YOU had some kind of problem. Let's keep
    it BBQ. I think an apology is in order.

• jamesf
    21 years ago

hello!!! lpsage!!!!

• Nazrat
    21 years ago

Hey guys, your comments are getting way off the page & subject! We're talking stainless steel grills here, not our sex lives. Stick to the subject! Having been cooking BBQ for more years than I'd like to admit, I can tell you that the Virco grill "pound for pound" is a better vaule, no question. Mr. CGE, you're certainly entilted to your opinion & I suspect that you indeed know quite a bit about BBQ grills. If this is really true, you've NOT really compared the two grills, otherwise you would see that for $800.00 the Virco grill is far & away the better value. Please note I did not say, better grill. Any consumer that has the opportunity to carefully examine & compare the two would only buy the other grill because they have way too much money & don't know how to shop! Pound for pound, the Virco grill is far & away the better grill! My humble opinion!

• lpsage
    21 years ago

>>Any consumer that has the opportunity to carefully examine & compare the two would only buy the other grill because they have way too much moneyWe were comparing the $599 Member's Mark to the $799 Virco genius. Did you read any of the prior posts or did you just jump in without thinking?

Let's see what all of these Virco fans have to say in three years about their grills.

I will admit that I do like Costco as a warehouse retailer better then Sam's, in fact I only joined Sam's for the sole reason of buying that grill.

I have just returned from a BBQ grill conference and expo and the Member's Mark, Grand Hall and Sears Kenmore Elite are all being touted as great grills. They are all produced by the same manufacturer.

• Nazrat
    21 years ago

Hey CGE, you're correct, I did "just jump in" & was under the impression that you guys were refering to the $14,997.00 grill at Sam's. My mistake! However, the Virco grill at Costco is still a better buy then the $599.00 grill at Sam's because the one at Sam's is partial stainless steel, not 100% stainless steel as is the Virco grill at Costco. I belive that you are a grill expert, but perhaps you've not really looked at the two grills closely. If you did you would see that there's a marked difference between the amount of stainless steel between the two grills. If you look inside the Sam's grill, you can easily see there's a lot less stainless steel in that grill. My opinion stands, pound for pound the Virco grill is the better value! Grill on!

• jamesf
    21 years ago

Boy are you in for a blasting,Nazrat!

• delray
    21 years ago

I still don't understand why lpsage is wasting time claiming to compare items he obviously has not even looked at very closely, ie. "it lacked several features(i.e. side burner,infrared back burner) and was far smaller." when the Kirkland grill (that none of us are interested in) clearly has these features. Just proves he is looking at entirely the wrong products or making things up to support a purchase decision (???).
    I have not purchased any grill yet, just looking to make an informed decision and don't need any erroneous or misinformation from Certified Grill Experts. Bizarre.

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Yep - He even got my gender wrong. I can't play pocket billiards. :)

• jamesf
    21 years ago

Your next delray.

• lpsage
    21 years ago

>

No I didn't, you sure can.

You just can't cook....not on a grill anyway.

Listen up fools and learn!

The Virco may be just fine.......but enjoy it while you can because in three(3) years you will be searching for new burner tubes for those flimsy burners. I studied this thing in the Costco near me. It is a good grill, no doubt...but for those burners.

Here's the main thing you grill consumers need to keep in mind:
    Sam's Club had the Member's Mark and Bakers and Chefs grill made specifically for them by Grand Hall. The production, tool and dies, parts etc..... will be available for years to come. Oh, Sears has Grand Hall manufacture their Kemore Elite series as well. Additionally, Grand Hall has their own line including the Grand Cafe. It's on their website.
    The point being to you nitwits(and there is an abundance of you out there)is that Grand Hall has been and will continue to be around for a long time to come. They have parts and excellent customer service should they ever be needed.
    Virco was a "spot buy" for Costco. They will be here this season and gone only to be replaced by something else next season.(most likely made by Grand Hall!)just like the Virco replaced the DCS made Kirkland Signature.
    I have grown weary of extolling my big knowledge on the likes of clock punching ilk such as you. I am a Certified Grill Expert(CGE) and I have forgotten more about grills and grilling then most of you collectively know.

It is OK to have buyers remorse from your Virco purchase. It is an American way of life. You pissed away $200 and effectively got less for your money. Better luck next purchase! You can make it up on the deal for that new Volvo SUV!

I am the Grilling Sage!!

• jamesf
    21 years ago

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
    Proven right again.
    Whatever.

• meagain1
    21 years ago

LOL

Dipsage - Once again, you are a day late & several dollars short. Those Stainless Steel burners are warranteed for a full 5 years. It's a good bet they weren't designed for a few years. I have also been informed by both Costco AND Virco that the Virco will be replacing the Kirkland. The Classic is made specifically for Costco.

Sorry that you've had your MM grill so long that you can't return it.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm...... One right person and so many wrong. How have we possibly managed all these years without the wonderous, onesided, overopionated, and cocky knowledge of such an all knowing person? Gee, I hope I too can be a CGE someday (Certified GOOFY ENIGMA)

e·nig·ma Pronunciation Key (-ngm)
    n.
    One that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable.
    A perplexing speech or text; a riddle.

• mrlanwan
    21 years ago

geez, this is pretty bad.. I almost want to vomit.

I have an MCSE, CNE, CCNA, BBA, PMP. I am going to seek out the CGE as the next certification to add to my credentials. Maybe I'll get a raise...

• mstephens86
    21 years ago

Don't knock his credentials
    Maybe his business card reads

m.i.c- k.e.y. m.o. C.G.E.
    and he did his internship at GOOFEY's BBQ
    I wonder if his BBQ food is good as his advise

• jamesf
    21 years ago

lpsage must clock in for Members Mark.
    You go Girl!

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Sorry about the streaks.
    {{gwi:1388601}}

• delray
    21 years ago

WOW! very nice. I had not noticed that utensil rack (?) on the left side. You know how worked up some of us get over so much that stainless steel ;-) I'll be getting mine tomorrow thanks to bsbbq's dedication to the cause. He informs me the unit weighs in at almost 450 lbs in the box (think I got that right). Now I just need some BBQ lessons from a certified grill expert (doh).

• meagain1
    21 years ago

:) Sorry about the streaks. I cleaned it very poorly.
    The stainless is thick too. I.e.; the doors are not just one sheet - but it's doubled up like a box with a 2nd layer inside.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to take a pic of the cover. Nice and thick. A handsome slate blue/grey color. It covers everything all the way down to the ground.

Yes - those are hooks to hang utensils. I didn't know it had that either till I unboxed it.

Oh! And the spit is SERIOUS. I can't imagine it bending no matter what you put on it. Haven't used it yet. Probably won't use it much, but am interested in hearing reports about it. The motor looked heavy & substantial.

Maybe I'll post that question on the other thread.

One thing that can be done: The handle bar on the right and the shelf on the left could be switched with each other. I didn't try it but on a quick visual - it looks interchangeable (may be wrong on that).

• lpsage
    21 years ago

"Now I just need some BBQ lessons from a certified grill expert."

That is CGE not DOH. You must not understand the professional designation. We understand. You don't frequent those circles very much.

Your Costco won't have them tomorrow. You will be so disappointed. You'll have to wait until your next paycheck from the factory!

• delray
    21 years ago

You got that right lp, my local Costco does not have them, but thanks to these boards I hooked up with someone going through the same eval process, and we both will be getting units they are holding at a Costco a little farther down the road.

I am also going to have a MM to do a closer comparison with, so you better start therapy now LP ;-) Some people might think you are a whack job, but Please DON'T go away, we will need your expert grilling advise (outside of preparing lobster nude) since you have not bestowed any on these forums yet. (BTW, doh is a Homer Simpsonism not an acronym---thought it fit).

Now, other than this bit of entertainment, I hope we can do a further comparison (Alek's was excellent, kudos to him, but somewhat difficult in the warehouse without everything put together) to see if the Virco is really worth the extra $200 if you have it (I got a raise at the factory!).

• delray
    21 years ago

You got that right lp, my local Costco does not have them, but thanks to these boards I hooked up with someone going through the same eval process, and we both will be getting units they are holding at a Costco a little farther down the road.

I am also going to have a MM to do a closer comparison with, so you better start therapy now LP ;-) Some people might think you are a whack job, but Please DON'T go away, we will need your expert grilling advise (outside of preparing lobster nude) since you have not bestowed any on these forums yet. (BTW, doh is a Homer Simpsonism not an acronym---thought it fit).

Now, other than this bit of entertainment, I hope we can do a further comparison (Alek's was excellent, kudos to him, but somewhat difficult in the warehouse without everything put together) to see if the Virco is really worth the extra $200 if you have it (I got a raise at the factory!).

• delray
    21 years ago

Sorry for the double post, an understandable mistake for any non-CGE.

• jamesf
    21 years ago

Costco has a store policy for not holding merchandise so
    I would'nt wait too long. I wanted them to hold one for me
    and the store manager would'nt even if I paid for it up
    front. Good luck. Just got my doctorate in Bbq yesterday.
    www.topgrill.com check it out.

• clovercp
    21 years ago

I've been following this thread for some time. Great forum and information exchange! If anyone knows of a Costco in Southern California that has or will have a Virco soon, I'd appreciate an email to that effect. By the way, it's been kind of fun watching this whole "dialogue" with dipsage lately, but I'm sure the rest of you realize that he (it) is just a wacko with nothing better to do than to express his frustration at being the loser he obviously is (I'm sure he'll love this!). He's purposely saying inflammatory things just to provoke responses from the board. Why else would anyone be that riled up about a bbq board for goodness sakes! I'm sure you'd all agree that enough is enough at this point. Let's just ignore any of his posts from here on in. He'll go away soon enough. Happy cooking thihs weekend!

• delray
    21 years ago

I talked to a Costco online rep on Monday, she indicated 120 units available the 27th at costco.com, but judging the weight of these units, and what it costs to ship the currently available Kirkland brand grill, shipping cost will probably be prohibitively expensive!
    I think someone indicated that Seattle distribution warehouse would be getting a large shipment today.

This correlates with what bsbbq told me earlier in the week that Costco's being served from that facility should see units in stock around June 10th. He is actually in transit right now picking up 2 from a Costco served by a different warehouse (one for me--thanks bsbbq!!)

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

Ready to cook anything.
    Two Vircos that Costco did hold for me for 3 days.
    One for Delray, one for me.
    Kind of makes you salivate, huh?
    Nothing a 600 mile road trip to St. George, UT can't cure.
    Oh, they have two more on order, not sure when they will be in. Talk to Anthony.
    Hey meagain, How do you put photos on here? I can't paste them.

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Hope you have a big truck!

You have to upload your pic to a photo hosting site (preferrably free!). I use MSN. After it's uploaded, right click - properties - and highlight/copy the url link to the pic.

When you hit reply type the following in the message box...

img src=(paste your url to pic here)

Put a right at the end.

It should look like this:

*img src=http:blablabla.com* Just substitute the asterisks with the sign. (I can't post it exactly or it will think I'm trying to post a pic.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

Ready to cook anything.
    Two Vircos that Costco did hold for me for 3 days.
    One for Delray, one for me.
    Kind of makes you salivate, huh?
    Nothing a 600 mile road trip to St. George, UT can't cure.
    Oh, they have two more on order, not sure when they will be in. Talk to Anthony.
    Thanks Meagain, but I can't make it work

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1388565}}

• jamesf
    21 years ago

Nice pic!

• delray
    21 years ago

450 degrees in just a few minutes (could go higher, but that was more than I needed just testing it). I did take a quick look yesterday at the Kirkland model while picking up food and a grill utensils for Memorial day. Noted the folded metal corners, screws, etc. which made me more appreciative of the Virco quality in welded stainless steel (lid, lip, etc..) that they ground to a perfect edge and fit.
    One minor thing that I did not like were how easy the utensil hooks can swing out. I will look for a rubber gromet or something like that to slide over the end to keep them in place. Did I mention this unit is heavy? Not near the 450 lb that the Costco claimed, but Virco did not skimp on stainless steel. Double wall doors, lid that feels immense, and a minor detail, but I really like the stainless steel skirt at the bottom as it makes it look permanent vs. portable (even though it has locking casters), and how about that cover bsbbq?! Fully insulated with velcro ties. For those interested, Costco has a Hoffritz (hoffritz.com)6 pc. stainless-steel and black santoprene (like rubber) grill set that includes a large turner, tongs, biiiig fork tipped knife, grill brush, basting brush, and a 10 x 16" (I think) grid grill. Sorry to push Costco, but I checked Walmart while getting some other stuff, and just two pieces (with wood handles) were more, so I am glad I waited.

• meagain1
    21 years ago

Hi all! I'm back from my trip.

How are the Vircos doing? Any problems?

delray - I also picked up that Hoffritz set. I don't recall seeing it last year. Just the Kirkland, which I found inferior (no locking tongs, etc.) so I'm wondering if that is one of their 'temporary' deals.

Also delray - One little detail I really appreciate is this... If you look at the front of it, the outer corners are 'clipped' or angled instead of squared off. A nice little touch they didn't have to do.

I'll have to pick up some cleaners for this. The grills I had in the past weren't really worth the effort to keep sparkly.

About the weight - The label on mine said 400 pounds. Not 450. Would that be accurate?

Has anyone experimented with smoke boxes in this? I've never used them before and was interested in trying it. Just not quite sure what size to get and where exactly to place it.

• dwayneq
    21 years ago

Hi all!

Thanks to all of the information I read in several threads I decided to purchase a Virco. Lucked out and called a local costco the same morning that 6 showed up. By the afternoon when I arrived to buy one they were down to 3 units. It looks great on the patio!

I have a NG stub on my patio and I am waiting for the conversion kit from the manufacturer. What is the best way to plumb the unit up? I was thinking of putting in a dual shut-off valve set-up (an extra for a future fire pit) and then try to find a quick connect. I just don't know where to get the parts from. all of the Lowes and Home Depot guys just look at you. Any suggestions would be great so I can it ip up and operational as soon as possible!

Loke meagain I am also wondering about using a smoke box for flavoring.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

I am using a cast iron wood smoke box from Lowes. It works good but I need to get a second one so I can really get things going good. Just soak your favorite chips in water overnight. place in cast iron box and I put them right on the ss flame tamer on the left burner underneath the cooking grid. Put the burner on high, and when the chips start to make smoke turn the burner to low, then put your meat on. Makes good smoke for about 15 to 20 minutes.

bsbbq

• mattw22
    21 years ago

dwayneq-
    The best way to plumb for natural gas is to use flexible copper available at Home Depot/Lowes and purchase a flare kit and a threaded nozzle which will thread into the natural gas quick connect line. Or if you have an existing stub you can find transition adapters that will thread into the quick connect line.

• dwayneq
    21 years ago

Thanks bsbbq for the smoker info. I'm heading down to Home Depot or Lowes and getting a cast iron box this week.

Also thanks to mattw22. Since I have a stub I'm going to look for an actual adapter. I found one site that talked about a real cool adapter but no info on cost and they sound like they only deal with manufacturers. Can't wait to fire it up. Too bad I only have an old style LP tank (full) or I would have had it searing steaks already! Sort of tells you how long I had my old grill.

Sponsored