SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowaboy_gw

Is a juicer worthwhile?

iowaboy
16 years ago

Throughout the tomato season my wife juices over a 100 quarts of tomatoes. After she cooks them, she peels them and puts them into a colander type thing with a hand spin type squeezer (I don't know the real name of this contraption) that pusher the juice into a kettle below. I am often the one who is operating this spinning squeezer.

Since a batch is usually no more than 6 quarts due to the size of the cooking kettle and harvest I question whether a juice would be beneficial.

Since this often is done in the heat of the summer, I am incline to get one for my wife. However she has said that she does not need one and would probably return it if I got her one. As with many things, if her mother used one, my wife would use one. Her mother has not used a juicer.

Questions:

1. Would I get more juice from a juicer with less waste? In other words, are they efficient in getting all the juice possible from the fruit?

2. Is a juicer a worthy investment for a 6-quart batch three times a week or are these for larger batches?

3. Is peeling the tomato necessary when using a juicer?

Comments (12)