SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mooski_gw

Old Hoosier Cabinet, Paint it? Stain it?

mooski
15 years ago

I got a really sweet 1929 Hoosier cabinet off a neighbor for 50 bucks. It needs a lot of work as it's been on her porch and parts of it are water damaged. Most of the 'big things' are done on it already. The bread drawer has been replaced, the heavily damaged back on the lower half has been replaced and the drawer slides are all reglued or replaced. (I had to pay for those jobs, but they're worth it).

Not particularly interested in 'staying true' to historical accuracy or resale value. The cabinet is made of poplar and poplar veneer. It may have been originally painted white enamel and I see traces of dark green here and there too. It's currently 'honey' stained, but the damaged areas look kinda nasty.

Now my question. The inside is unpainted, should I paint that with an oilbased or latex based primer then enamel paint? The outside. I got some birch plywood for the sides and am having trouble getting a color near enough to the stain on the rest of the cabinet. Should I take the plunge and just paint it? Any advice on a vaugely accurate color?

BTW, the work surface is bright wite with blue 'granite' edging. Very bright blue, not my speed, not too bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (14)