SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_in_kc

basement floor cracks, recent movement

ken_in_kc
14 years ago

We were going to install vinyl plank flooring in our rec room basement but after pulling up all the carpeting we found a large raised crack running from the south wall to the east wall, about 15-20ft long. One end of this crack I had put some leveling compound on about 5 months ago while the carpeting was pulled back for another small project. I see now it has moved horizontal about 1/16 inch since.

There is an area where the crack is about 3/16 to 1/4" wide and a vertical rise of maybe 3/16". For most of the crack's length, the rise and spread aren't too bad - 1/8" or less. We haven't had water come from this large crack and have lived here over 20 years.

The house is a early 70's split level on a sloping yard. West end of the rec room floor is actually above grade (that foundation wall piered), and 2 sides (north and east) have a subfloor drain with sump pump. The water was coming from the wall and/or wall-floor joint.

So I guess my question is could the crack be stabilized with epoxy or ? and should the idea of the vinyl plank flooring be scrapped even if we smooth and level the cracks? We are considering going with carpet again because of the floor movement. Or can the vinyl plank flooring take a little floor movement without creating gaps?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Comments (4)