SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billyoscar

A Unique Seed Starting Method

Billyoscar
10 years ago

Because of the stroke I had last February, I became a bit handicapped but fortunately with no mental disabilities. In fact, when my brain re-wired itself around the dead cell, I had to think outside the box. I invented a different method of germinating seeds from what I had formally been doing in the past, as it was too labor intensive. I had to find a more simple and easy way of accomplishing this goal. The following essay is the result:
SEED STARTING FOR THE HOME GARDEN
I have discovered a cheap, simple method of starting flower and vegetable seeds for the home garden. It utilizes the principle of capillary action and a moist newspaper mat. To construct such a device, the following items will be required:

1. A roller paint tray obtained from the paint department of a box store.
    2. A 5-foot length of 1 and a quarter inch PVC pipe obtained from the plumbing department of the same store. This needs to be cut into 25 2-inch cylinders and then filled with a good seed starting mix.
    3. A 6-inch piece of I-inch PVC pipe to be used as a plant ejector.
    4. A half dozen sheets of newspaper.
    Lay the newspaper on the sloping part of the paint tray with several inches immersed in the paint holding well. Fill this well with water and watch as the newspaper mat slowly becomes saturated as it draws up water. Plant a few seeds in each mix-filled cylinder and tamp lightly so the bottom of the mix is in contact with the wet newspaper. It will soon start drawing up moisture via capillary action and become damp. Keep adding water to the well as needed.
    Using short pieces of an old venation blind and a lead pencil, identify each cylinder with name and date of planting.
    In a week or two, the seeds will germinate and green leaves will appear. When about 2 or 3 inches tall and ready to transplant to a larger container or the garden, use the 1" ejection tool. Place this over the green leaves of the sprouted seedling. It will telescope nicely into the 1 and a quarter inch planting cylinder. Pull up on the planted cylinder and the seedling will be bottom ejected without disturbing the roots. Add fresh planting mix around the new, larger container and place in a bright-lighted window for further development.
    I would like to see this method displayed in ever classroom in the country so the kids can learn how and where their food is produced. They should be encouraged to grow their own gardens at home. If home is in an apartment, they can use a container of some sort such as a 5-gallon bucket filled with a potting mix. In the future, when purchased food becomes more expensive, families will find it more advantages to produce some of their own food at home in order to enjoy a healthy life style.

Comments (7)