SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtzski

threatening eviction because of treadmill

courtzski
19 years ago

My landlord recently threatened to evict me and my husband if we did not stop using our treadmill, due to a noise complaint from the neighbor downstairs. He has further ordered us to move the treadmill into the basement, via a letter that was sent to us from his attorney. To make a long story short, when the neighbor downstairs complains to the landlord, he calls us with a new "rule" that we must abide by (yes, the tenant and landlord are long time friends and she has been living here about 6 years, us about 8 months). We have also seeked legal advice and are very confident that he has no case to evict us, so we are not moving the treadmill (he's coming over tomorrow for an "inspection" and stated that the treadmill should be in the basement when he comes over).

Any words of advice on how to calmly and effectively negotiate with this guy, or our downstaris neighbor? He's a hot head and gets extremely lound and emotional when we challenge his "rules". I initially addressed her complaint by stating that I would ad a piece of carpeting under the treadmill to help reduce the noise (it's currently on an equipment mat and we have hard wood floors). That obviously wasn't good enough.

Your thoughts are much appreciated. There is a lot more to this story if anyone is interested, just ask. I just didn't want to write a book!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH