SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexichay

Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?

lexichay
9 years ago

I am a university student in a small city. I live in a small apartment complex with my boyfriend right beside my university. It is the perfect apartment for a student because it is so close you can walk to all your classes, rent is really great, and it's in a decent area.
It would be absolutely perfect if not for my creepy neighbor. I've had problems dealing with him since I moved in over a year ago. For starters, he's just kind of strange. He leaves his front door open most of the time. Not that it's any of my business or it really affects me, but his apartment is absolutely littered with books, papers, and trash. We immediately took notice of this when moving in and found it a bit strange. But of course, we shrugged it off because, like I said, not my business. Eventually we ran in to the neighbor and found that he is an old man. Again, we found it strange that he is living in apartments clearly meant for college students. But still not a huge deal.
Eventually, though, he started to become a real problem. Within a month or so of moving in, we started hearing terrible screaming from the apartment at night. It was always following by loud bangs and it was terrifying. But we didn't really know what to do so we just made sure to lock our door and tried to avoid seeing the neighbor.
But then he started to become a real creep. He just starts banging on our walls randomly. Sometimes it's when we shut a door. Not loudly, just at normal door-shutting volume. But one time it was when my boyfriend bumped his head on the wall while laughing. and one night, he repeatedly beat on my wall while I was just reading in bed. I was just silently reading while home alone and he beat on my wall numerous times. And occasionally, when I walk past his window, I find him standing there just staring through the blinds.
I have no idea what to do about this problem. He genuinely scares me. I am afraid when I am home alone. I don't leave my apartment at night if I am alone. I have tried speaking to the landlord. When I call, she doesn't answer. When I visit her office, she is not there. I am afraid to confront my neighbor because I do not think he is of stable mind and he could be volatile.
What can I do. I am so tired of not feeling safe in my own home.

Comments (7)

Sponsored